Considering Red Tailed Redeye Puffers

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Considering Red Tailed Redeye Puffers

Post by Pufftastic »

I'm new to puffers altogether, but not new to keeping fish. I have a fully cycled 29 gallon (feeding filter with ammonia currently) that just needs decorating to make it ready for puffers.

I assumed I'd get dwarf puffers, but one local LFS has C. irrubesco in stock, and they're adorable. In case I decide to go with these instead of dwarfs, could I have two of them in my 29 gallon if there are ample hiding spots? How early can irrubescos be sexed? (I'd probably want to go with two females to reduce potential aggression, unless that's a bad idea.)

Thanks in advance!
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
lesleyanndunn
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: one fahaka ~ *Abe*
one palembang ~ *Spud*

one fahaka ~ *Kruger* (RIP) :(
also kept: DP's, GSP'S, and BBG's
Location (country): Bangor, UK

Re: Considering Red Tailed Redeye Puffers

Post by lesleyanndunn »

[welcome]
Ohyouknow
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Vicious (T. Lineatus - Fahaka)
Location (country): Indiana, USA.

Post by Ohyouknow »

Welcome to the Forum!

As I do not know much about these types of puffers (other than what I found in the PufferPedia and google...) They don't get more than 4 inches each, a 29 gallon would probably be ok. I read they can be VERY aggressive amongst each other ( I don't think sex plays a role in the aggression, and it may depend on the puffer itself since they have their own personality.) Here is a link to the PufferPedia: ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/C_Irrubesco/

Also, I think it says there that they should be easy to sex.

Again, Welcome to the forum :) I'm sure whatever puffer you fall in love with will do great if you take care to make them happy! (after all, you become THEIR pet!)
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

I have some irrubescos and they're wonderful fish. Many haven't had problems putting them with other fish but mine are quite aggressive. They can be sexed from a young age, I got mine when they were about 1". The males are more of a steel colour with red tails. The females are more mottled, browny, and have spots on their bellies. An interesting thing that I've noticed is that my smaller male has the colouration of a female, minus the belly spots and red tail. They're quite territorial and aggressive so they need a heavily decorated tank. Mine are also great eaters, anything I put in they eat which is absolutely wonderful, I hate picky fish.

I'm hoping to get pictures of my tank up tonight. We have it decorated with driftwood, a cave, 2 clay pots, a ton of baby vals, and a crypt. We can't wait until the plants fill in and do some significant growing. We made sure that our driftwood was weird shapes and most of them have holes and caves and indentations etc. It's taken a while to find the right pieces but it's finally done.

Irrubescos do best in pairs so you'll want at least a male and female. I imagine you could fit 4 (2 pairs) in there but lets see what others say.

I'm quite new to them but there's several people on here that are wonderful and they'll be a lot of help. I know they helped me a ton. I really like mine. They look boring and are small and while I always liked them my boyfriend hated them. He's warming up to them though. Their tails are beautiful (especially the females) and it's nice to sit in front of the tank and wait until they show them. They're always watching us and come to the front of the tank when we get near.

ETA: They get to a size of 2 inches, not 4, Ohyouknow. I think you read the cms :)
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Ohyouknow
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Vicious (T. Lineatus - Fahaka)
Location (country): Indiana, USA.

Post by Ohyouknow »

Ohh probably. I was trying to be helpful, but you are right. Darn those cm :) Thanks for correcting me!
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I have a small group of 7 irrubesco, 4 female and 3 males, and mine all get along very well together. I actually have mine in a tank with dwarf puffers, various gobies, 2 corydoras' and a bristlenose plec. The tank is somewhat complex though as there's lots of plants, bogwood, and ornaments to swim in, around and under. I've kept several different species of redeye puffers fairly consistently and I am quite fond of these little puffs. Redeye puffers are one of the easiest puffers to sex due to their different colouring and patterns for males and females, so no guessing what you've got as with some puffers.
I think they are quite nice because they are fairly active and always seem to be doing something. Mine all line up at the front of the tank when it's meal time.
Some people have had problems with aggression when keeping irrubesco, but thankfully I do not have that problem. They don't even chase the dwarf puffers.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

A pair would be very nice for a 29g tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Post by PolishPuff »

Pufferpunk wrote:A pair would be very nice for a 29g tank.
+1
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Watch out, they grow on you :)
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin