SAP Compatibility Question

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
dar147
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Annapolis, MD

SAP Compatibility Question

Post by dar147 »

I recently moved my 6" Paratilapia Bleekeri to a new 90 gallon tank (with a 5" pleco). In searching for tank mates I really became interested in puffers (I love this site) and would like to add them to the tank. I was considering adding 3 or 4 SAPs to the tank and possibly a 3-4" Parachromis Loisellei if I can find one. I asked Jeff Rapps about it and he thought with one or both of those cichlids that the SAPs might not last long. I was wondering what the board thought and if SAPs weren't a good idea if there were any other puffers that might be a better fit with the Bleekeri and maybe another cichlid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Re: SAP Compatibility Question

Post by Myaj »

I would say Jeff knows his cichlids and I'd listen to him :) He's a good guy and generally won't encourage you to buy something if he doesn't think its a good idea, unlike some other sellers.

SAP's are very timid fish and non-aggressive, they'd easily be killed by aggressive fish, or at the very least, constantly stressed out. Not to mention if they were eaten by a larger fish, they'd likely kill it, either by puffing and inflating in their throat or from the toxins in the puffer.

I did keep mine with your common krib, and the kribs did chase them away from their "cave", but I wouldn't risk them with anything more aggressive.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I just noticed this was your 1st post!
[welcome]
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
dar147
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Annapolis, MD

Post by dar147 »

Thanks for the response and the welcome!
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

I'm with Jeff on this one. I've kept SAPs with relatively small, docile cichlids, specifically Pelvicachromis taeniatus,Laetacara curviceps and Mikrogeophagus ramirezi[/i]. Once the cichlids learned to keep out of nipping range, and the puffers learned to stay away from the cichlids' caves, everything worked out fine.

But these Madagascan cichlids are much more aggressive and territorial. They will barely tolerate one another, let alone other fish. In a really deep tank you might just find a swarm of SAPs end up working like dither fish, but I wouldn't bank on it. The SAPs might be nippy, and unlike small dwarf cichlids, hiding among plants isn't an option for these bigger cichlids. Conversely, adult cichlids might view the SAPs as food (with unpleasant results for all concerned).

Cheers, Neale
dar147 wrote:I recently moved my 6" Paratilapia Bleekeri to a new 90 gallon tank (with a 5" pleco). In searching for tank mates I really became interested in puffers (I love this site) and would like to add them to the tank. I was considering adding 3 or 4 SAPs to the tank and possibly a 3-4" Parachromis Loisellei if I can find one. I asked Jeff Rapps about it and he thought with one or both of those cichlids that the SAPs might not last long. I was wondering what the board thought and if SAPs weren't a good idea if there were any other puffers that might be a better fit with the Bleekeri and maybe another cichlid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.