New red tailed red eye female puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
FishyFishFish7
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

New red tailed red eye female puffer

Post by FishyFishFish7 »

So next week I will be getting my new red tailed red eye female puffer and I was wondering what to do about algae since it is a planted tank. But my worry is that any type of algae eater I get will be attacked by the puffer. Suggestions on how to take care of the algae problems that have been growing in my tank since I began cycling it three months ago would be most appreciated!
Olaf_Sierpinski
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 x Dwarf puffer
1 x Carinotetraodon salivator (Zebbs)
1 x Carinotetraodon irrubesco (Raizy da la Crazy)
1 x Canthigaster valentini (Commrad Valentini)
1 x Box fish (Detective Kiwi)
1 x Leopard Toby puffer (Tobbers)
Location (country): So-Cal, United States

Re: New red tailed red eye female puffer

Post by Olaf_Sierpinski »

Well as far as algae goes your best bet might be to deal with it yourself, because the best cleaners tend to be freshwater. That being said, the majority of the cleaner fish can swim fast enough to avoid the "lunch" nametag. Just make sure you aclimate slowly
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

I've kept nerite snails with irrubesco puffers without problems, and my four specimens live in a busy tank alongside Panaque and Garra, both of which eat algae. So there are options.

Cherry shrimps might be worth trying, though likely some would be eaten. My own experience with cherry shrimps is that if you have a tank dedicated to just breeding them, you'll quickly have more than you know what to do with, so employing them as "disposable" algae eaters is no big deal.

Cheers, Neale
FishyFishFish7 wrote:So next week I will be getting my new red tailed red eye female puffer and I was wondering what to do about algae since it is a planted tank. But my worry is that any type of algae eater I get will be attacked by the puffer. Suggestions on how to take care of the algae problems that have been growing in my tank since I began cycling it three months ago would be most appreciated!
rachy
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 4 adult dwarf puffers ( sugar, hamish, diddy + porky)
2 smallerDP's (squidge + speckle)
+ now 70+ baby DP's :)
7 south american puffers ( shaun, paddy, sketch,
pele + 3 with no name yet!)
2 irrubesco (princess ruby + richy)
Location (country): uk

Post by rachy »

ive got loads of snails and a few shrimp in with my irrubesco...they dont seem 2 bother each other :)
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I keep a couple of different gobies in with my irrubesco and the puffers don't bother them at all (and they aren't BB gobies). I also have a couple of Corys, and a few Rasboras. My point is that my irrubesco don't bother the other fish in the tank, and I think they'd be more aggressive to their own kind, or other puffers, before being aggressive to other tankmates, but that's just from my personal experiences.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

I agree with this. Indeed, I'd go so far as to suggest that the reports of psychotic irrubesco are actually down to misidentifications. Here in England irrubesco and lorteti are commonly mixed up in the same batch of fish, but sold as one or other species. Then there are those other Carinotetraodon that are very similar, but much more aggressive, like C. borneensis. Supposedly rarely traded, it's entirely possible that they're traded as irrubesco puffers.

Cheers, Neale
pufferpuggirl wrote:My point is that my irrubesco don't bother the other fish in the tank, and I think they'd be more aggressive to their own kind, or other puffers, before being aggressive to other tankmates, but that's just from my personal experiences.
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

I know of irribescoes (which are not mislabelled) that are aggressive, so it's all about the personality of the fish. I would't risk anything together with an irrubesco, all though my little Houdini is a shy one. The best ting is to be your own algae remover. You risk more than the fish's life, but also its health, as it's not a good way to keep fishes in stressful environment. And I would consider living with a puffer a stressful environment if the puffer chases the other fish.
Olaf_Sierpinski wrote:That being said, the majority of the cleaner fish can swim fast enough to avoid the "lunch" nametag.
This is not right. I know otos can be, but most fishes aren't (I've tried once, and never again!). Puffers can be pretty fast when they attack. Besides speed isn't everything: puffers are smart, and that really does matter. And again: even if the fish is fast enough, it will still have a stressful life, avoiding a predator.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

puffers are smart
And sneaky!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"