Where to buy Fahaka

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
theo2005
Puffer Fry

Where to buy Fahaka

Post by theo2005 »

I live near the toronto area in canada and there are no local fish store that sells fahakas.

Is there a reputable online fish store that will ship me a healthy baby Fahaka?

I am 100% sure I want a fahaka after seeing the smoochie video :lol:
Have a 100 gallon tank waiting for him, and he be the only fish in it.
I dont intend to keep any other fish besides that one Fahaka.

Thanks,

Theo
Bred
Former Staff Member

Post by Bred »

Hi Theo,

I live in downtown Toronto. Nice to see you here!

I purchased my Fahaka about this time last year at the Big Al's in Mississauga. (Dixie & Dundas). They had a shipment of about 12.

I would special order with them, or another Big Al's closer to you.
Most web-order places I've checked do not ship outside of the US.
Hope that helps!
theo2005
Puffer Fry

Post by theo2005 »

Hi Bred,

I will certainly check with AL fish store, last one I called didnt have it, so I'll try another. Or have it order through them.

How is your Fahakas now? When you first brought him, was he healthy and did you run into any health issues during the last year?

Oh and how large is your Fahaka now?

Thanks,

Theo
Ali
Puffer Fry

Post by Ali »

Try to get tch with the man that owns Rareafishianado named Jon. He's in New york, so he's fairly close, and has 6" Fahakas right now. He has a website so try it out.
FREE PALESTINE

"I'm the Greatest!" Muhammad Ali
Bred
Former Staff Member

Post by Bred »

My fahaka had a few bite marks when I got him, but he was otherwise extremely healthy. He ate on the first day and showed no signs of internal parasites.

Since they got a batch of them in, I took my time and carefully observed the fish every time I went to the store.

He was 1"-1.5" when I got him. He is now 6.5" and growing. I am a conscientious feeder, though, feeding smallish meals daily or every other day -- just enough to give him a bit of a belly. He eats everything - krill, snails, worms, crayfish, crab's legs ... even the occasional bit of brown mushroom!! :mrgreen:

I have run into health issues with him in the last 2 months because he seems to have caught columnaris from some SAPs I recently got in... Amazing how disease can jump from one tank to another! The disease is not progressing, though. I treated him with some antibacterial (Nitrofurazone) and I am now doing research trying to find the magic antibiotic to cure him for good. His behaviour and eating remain unaffected. Lovely fish. My best friend ever since my gf moved away for the summer. ;)
crazyforpuffs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by crazyforpuffs »

Right now - as we speak...Big Al's in Mississuaga has Fahakas - although they are calling them something like "straight lined african puffer" or some such thing. I believe they are $8.99 each. They have a whole tank of them - in the second row on the bottom on the side of the salt water fish (not the cichlid / barb)side.

Also, Big Al's in Hamilton has a tank full of them as well - although they are being called simply Tetraodon puffers and they are $11.99 each.
theo2005
Puffer Fry

Post by theo2005 »

Thanks for the headsup crazyforpuff!

I have to start cycling this tank quickly now!
crazyforpuffs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by crazyforpuffs »

No problem Theo. BA in Mississauga has had these guys for a while now - going on a month I would say.

Hopefully there is a decent specimen in the lot for you to take home.

Let me know how you made out.
Asuran
Puffer Fry

Post by Asuran »

wow quite a number of Canadians on here!

I am currently cycling a 15G for dwarf puffers... but also after seeing that fahaka video i want one too now! :D but i need to find a 135G tank and stand first
crazyforpuffs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by crazyforpuffs »

Asuran - It's garage sale season again - perhaps you can find a great deal on a large tank at a garage sale.

I haven't seen any large ones yet myself - but last season I saw one or two large setups that I wouldn't have minded having.

Classifieds are another great place - or an aquarium society.

BTW - my dwarfs are really cuties. Nearly my favourite puffers.

Good luck.
Asuran
Puffer Fry

Post by Asuran »

Yeah I have been reading some other forums... pricenetwork.ca has people selling lots of tanks and stuff... but I also want to make sure that there is enough space in the house for another large tank. currently living with parents so i dont have a fish tank devoted space but they are letting me cram in a lot though :D

i'm not in a hurry because initial setup will take quite some time... good thing my parents got bitten by the puffer bug too! they enjoy them as much as i do

the only thing is that they dont get why one puffer needs such a big tank :D