29 gal for DPs

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Jarred Darque
Puffer Fry

29 gal for DPs

Post by Jarred Darque »

OK, here my currently proposed set-up for my cycled 29gal.

7 DPs, main attraction, 2 males, 5 females, will be bought as young as possible.

1 pleco, already owned, in 29 gal atm over 4 inches in length and growing. (will switch out later when he gets to big for a smalelr one)

1 freshwater clam, purchase size approx 3/4-1 inch in length

a few (dont know how many, open for suggestions) amano shrimp

1 red-fin shark, about 4 inches right now, will gorw a bit before I get DPs, I have a 10 gal in case it doesnt work out with him in the tank.

Tank has black gravel, approx 1/8-1/4 inch in size as largest, very light. brand is spectra stone.
Tank is planted with anachris atm, am still growing it out, that is what the hold up is on getting DPs.
Have in some deco, 1 large artificial rock with many holes, stands up tall, has very little footprint. artificial log, open at both ends, fairly small, opening is about 2 inch across. artificial root, one opening aout an inch in diameter, 5 inch bubbler, looks nice, and stirs up the top water some, in back corner opposite main filter. main deco, medium size sunken ship in two pieces, hollow with many openings, total length about 18 inches and 8 inches high. have in a small treasure chest to go with the ship, and 3 1-1.5 lb rocks for aesthetics.

lighting is curretnyl 20 watt, will upgrade to 55 watt soon, also getting a CO2 injection to help the plants out.

I have a 10 gallon on the side I have seeded with snails, and after 1 day there are egg clusters on the gravel. the shark will go into the 10 gall temporarily if he doesnt work out in the 29 gallon, I am using the 10 gallon right now to also grow some of hte anacrhis as it has better lighting...

Also if I get any DP eggs, they will go into the 10 gallon to hatch and grow out a little to sell to the LFS

let me know what yall think, both critical and positive. thankyou all.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Wow! I'm impressed! Get those puffers. :D
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Jarred Darque
Puffer Fry

Post by Jarred Darque »

haha thanks PP, it does mean alot to have your thumbs up for it. I see you on 3 of the 4 sites I am on, the other is dedicated to Oscars, as that is what I was originally interested in...before I learned of their size, tnak requirements etc etc. :P

Well, now if I can just get these plants to grow!! I may soon get everything but the puffers to get them used to the tank, and with the puffers being the most aggressive and territorial, would like to add them last..that and I would prefer that everything in the tank be as large as possible first...that cant hurt any. :)

the only problem I am having right now is on the plants.

some people have said that CO2 injection is not needed for an anacharis only tank, and I have read taht it requires medium-low lighting, well, what IS medium to low lighting? I havent figured that out yet. is is 1wpg, or 2wpg? I am sure that the 20 watts on it right now are insufficiant, but what do I need to upgrade to :P
Steelgeek
Former Staff Member

Post by Steelgeek »

You seem to be aware that your current lighting is insufficient. Which plants will grow and how are completely dependant on your lighting, and work you put into getting a 20 watt setup going can be completely wasted when you get a 55 watt. Thats what happened to me, as the low light plants I had had to be swapped out.

You might want to not bother with plants til you get the 55 watt setup. Definitely don't bother with CO2 til then, unless you like algae, IMHO, but I haven't tried anarchris so I'm not sure how you'll do.

Also, the smaller and younger the DP the harder it is to sex them. Its quite possible to have a supposed little female turn out to be a male as they grow and mature.

My DPs proved to be nippy little bastards, and uncaring about size of their victim, so make sure you watch that red fin. Plecos are usually pretty safe.

Other than that, sounds good!
The rare and elusive SteelGeek has been known to cause great damage to his environs...
PetPirate
Gone Today, Here Tomorrow
My Puffers: 3x Tetraodon Nigroviridis in full marine

Post by PetPirate »

The clam and shrimp are for food, right?
Jarred Darque
Puffer Fry

Post by Jarred Darque »

the clam is being scrapped, and alot of people say that they have had good luck iwth keeping shrump succesfully with DPs in the long run
abc
Dwarf Puffer

Post by abc »

shrimp is always a risky business, but right now my 2 dp's are getting along fine with much larger cherry shrimp... there's just too many snails for the dp's to munch on so they are pre-occupied :wink:
Getting out of the hobby....
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I've had Amanaos, red-nose red-tail, and Ghosts with DPs without problems. I have not tried Cherry Reds. But some folks have sushi when they try shrimp with the DPs.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Vixen
Puffer Fry

Post by Vixen »

Our two amano shrimp have not been bothered by the DPs at all.
2 GSPs
1 F8
11 dwarfs