Feeding suvattii

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Flusher
Dwarf Puffer

Feeding suvattii

Post by Flusher »

There was a good thread of the same title on the temporary forum, and I thought I'd add a follow-up.

I managed to get my suvattii to eat a couple of chunks of thawed frozen shrimp very easily using the threading technique. It took about thirty seconds before my puffer ate the first chunk of shrimp. It was obviously hungry, as it was eyeing up some nearby fish in an adjoining tank (even though it had eaten well only a few days earlier). It was also night time, and the lights were out. I think turning the lights on would have scared off my suvattii. I just lef the hallway lights on so I could get some very dim lighting in my fish tank room.

Anyway, I've got one more Molly to "dispose" of, and then it looks like my Arrowhead will be living off frozen grocery store seafood.
chriscenter1
Puffer Fry

Post by chriscenter1 »

well thats good to hear! My suvatti just hasn't aquired a taste for shrimp even with the threading technique. He takes a bite or three out and I get all excited that he's eating and then looks at me with the "awe that's all your giving me" look and goes back to watching the plants. Anyway glad your guys eating. Like somebody said on the old thread you have to let them get good and hungry!
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

How big is the puffer and how often are you feeding it?
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image
Flusher
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Flusher »

It's about 3.5", and I've only had it for a few weeks. I haven't hammered out a feeding schedule just yet, mostly because I was a bit nervous about my success in weaning it off live food. I've been tossing in live fish (not feeders) two or three times a week for it.

Since this doesn't seem like it'll be a problem to feed, I think I'll go with twice a week until it gets to four inches or so. I've read that at that point, once a week is sufficient.
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

Two of mine are about 2.5" with the third around 3".I am feeding them every other night and once a week I skip an extra night off.At the moment they eat frozen shell on prawn, fresh prawn, cockles in shell and mussell meat.I have yet to try them with crabs legs but I have no doubt that they will be readily accepted.In fact after a slow start to their eating schedule all three will take anything and evrything and as often as I can offer it them.
Two of them will readily chase their food as I offer it on tongs and I always fail to 'outrun' them with it!The third is more cunning and will always look as if he is not interested.If he is close enough he will just launch himself and attack the food.However if he is in 'hiding' or not facing me he will casually swim out of sight and attack from a new position.This is why I use tongs as I never know where he is going to come from!
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

LOL! Rocker's third puff sounds a bit like my Palembang - who tries so hard to pretend disinterest, as if he were ever out when not hungry.
Where's the fish? - Neptune