Starting to build up my species tanks again!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.

Whats your favorite freshwater puffer?

Dwarf Puffer
18%
Arrow Head Puffer
14%
Congo Puffer
5%
South American Puffer
14%
Red Eye Puffer
No votes
Fahaka Puffer
18%
None of these
9%
All of these
No votes
I CAN'T CHOOSE!!!
23%

Total votes: 22

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

A 20-long is not big enough for 8-10 DPs, and certainly the Flying Fox does not belong with them.

Red-eyes rarely do well with other fish, even conspecifics, or perhaps especially conspecifics.

A 30-long might do for 3 SAPs, but not for 4. the high or extra-high variants of that tank size would be less likely to work.

Small puffers, or actually any puffer, are better moved no more than is absolutely essential. With the smaller ones it is no big deal to start them in their permanent tank.

All JMHO & IME, YMMV.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Tihsho
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tihsho »

Well I never thought of it till now...stupid me...but the tanks I have started cycling have flourite gravel in them, this will not affect any of the fish will it?
<80 gal> 2 GSPs & a Ceylon!
<75 gal> 3 Figure 8s & 1 Butterlfy Goby
<75 gal> *Empty*
<55 gal> 3 Gymnothorax polyuranodon (FW eel)
<30 long> Pair of Lorteti's & Irrubesco's, 1 DP, Endlers Livebearers, Clown Pleco, Royal Pleco, 2 Bumblebee Cats
<20 long> 4 Flounders
<4 gal> 2 Sparkling Gouramis & 3 ottos heavily planted

~Tihsho~
Bred
Former Staff Member

Post by Bred »

Tihsho wrote:Experience taught me that it is not wise to have a cave in a red-eyes tank. [...] But before having the cave or the pot the male just did his normal playfulish looking chase with no biting or a threat at all. But it was when it came down to a cave area. Has anyone had an experience with that? Was it just my puffer or do other male red-eyes do the same, or any other species?
It is wise to have more hiding spots than you have puffers. This includes rock/wood caves, leafy overhangs, and dense areas of foliage. Always have extra hiding spots so what you've described does not happen.
Tihsho wrote:the tanks I have started cycling have flourite gravel in them, this will not affect any of the fish will it?
Not likely. Flourite is a good base substrate for planted tanks, so you should take advantage of that.

Pay close attention to RTR's advice about stocking your tank... That is what is going to make the most difference in the long run.
Tihsho
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tihsho »

bred wrote: It is wise to have more hiding spots than you have puffers. This includes rock/wood caves, leafy overhangs, and dense areas of foliage. Always have extra hiding spots so what you've described does not happen.

Pay close attention to RTR's advice about stocking your tank... That is what is going to make the most difference in the long run.
Ok I will make sure that there are a plethora of hiding spots in the tanks. So far a friend trades me his 50 gallon (w/hood) for a 20 gallon long I have so either that will house the red-eyes or the SAP's.
<80 gal> 2 GSPs & a Ceylon!
<75 gal> 3 Figure 8s & 1 Butterlfy Goby
<75 gal> *Empty*
<55 gal> 3 Gymnothorax polyuranodon (FW eel)
<30 long> Pair of Lorteti's & Irrubesco's, 1 DP, Endlers Livebearers, Clown Pleco, Royal Pleco, 2 Bumblebee Cats
<20 long> 4 Flounders
<4 gal> 2 Sparkling Gouramis & 3 ottos heavily planted

~Tihsho~