Two types of Fahaka puffers

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
hlam420
Puffer Fry

Two types of Fahaka puffers

Post by hlam420 »

I just recently found out that there was actually another type of Fahaka Puffer from a different region. The ones we normally see grows to about 18"-24" and very aggressive. The other type I just found out about doesn't grow as big 3"-6" according to the seller and can be kept as groups. Does anyone have any info. on their temperment compared to the larger fahakas and can they actually be kept in a shoal for life? any info. is great because I am thinking of getting some.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Fahakas have a fairly wide distribution (or did before pollution started killing them off), but to the best of my knowledge there is but one species with a potential of making almost a foot and half in the wild, perhaps a bit more in captivity with good care.

What was the source of this information?
Where's the fish? - Neptune
abc
Dwarf Puffer

Post by abc »

keeping fahakas in shoals sounds nuts to me.... may be as juveniles but once they get larger, it will be carnage in the end

but I'll let the experts chime in on this one. I think the reference is to the following link:

edit with new link:

http://forums.waterwolves.com/index.php?showtopic=92147

it is an ad but the description of the species is in the following post. Frankly, I have my hands full with my hairy puffer, but I am curious to see if there is such a thing as a community fahaka (sounds like such an oxymoron to me)
Last edited by abc on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting out of the hobby....
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

That is an ad. I don't think any comment is needed to that.

But if anyone believes it I will be glad to sell them some Easy Balance and aquarium salt to use in their tanks, plus maybe an Ecologizer (is that the name?).

:twisted:
abc
Dwarf Puffer

Post by abc »

sorry, I linked the wrong address. I edited the above post so that it has the correct link (yes it is an ad, but the discussion follows in the posts):

These are not my words, but from a hobbyist who is quite knowledgeable and offers the following on the fahaka species:

There are 2 populations of fahaka puffers. The riverine species is the one commonly available. They're best kept singly and grow to about 19". The other population of fahakas are a lake species (Lake Turkana). This fahaka grows very slowly if at all. I bought 4 of these lake species, from Wes, a year ago. They were 1/2" to 3/4" when I got them. A year later, the largest one hasn't hit 1 1/4" yet. My riverine fahaka was obtained at 2 1/2 inches and hit over 10" in the first year.
Both populations were identically colored as juviniles. These CB fahakas don't match any I've ever seen. There may be a little father-daughter intermixing here.
Getting out of the hobby....
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

By that quote it is either a separate species, a subspecies, or a hybrid. In either case, calling it a Fahaka would be incorrect. Hybrids cannot carry the name of only one parent species.