Congo Puffer or Dwarf Puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.

Congo Puffer or Dwarf Puffers?

Congo Puffer
67%
Dwarf Puffer
33%

Total votes: 18

riggers
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): UK

Congo Puffer or Dwarf Puffer

Post by riggers »

So what do all you guys think 'cause I am completely stuck and I love the idea of having either of them. I've researched both of them so I know that they have completely different personalities and temperaments etc. but that is what makes it so hard to chose between them. Please help! :D
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Re: Congo Puffer or Dwarf Puffer

Post by manutius »

Congo for me, they are my dream puffer and one day I shall own an orange or red one.
riggers
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by riggers »

I must say, they do look like very cool puffers and I am very tempted but then I see those cute little dwarf puffers and then I get confused and don't know what to do. Well I still have time to think about it so keep the votes coming guys! :D Thanks to everyone who has voted already.
Mareva
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 3 DPs: Borneo, Palua and Fidji!

Post by Mareva »

Well, I own dwarfs and I love them! They are a lot of fun! And if you have a 20G then you can get 2 males and 4 females and plenty of activity in your tank! :) (just to add to the confusion!)
cobra1713
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cobra1713 »

congo, i mean they are just awesome lol not to take away from DP but i try and go for the unordinary and congos are a little rare, plus they can bury themselves!!! lets see a dwarf puffer do that! lol
60g with 2 angels, 1 yoyo loach, Upside down catfish, Clown Loach, 1 leopard Ctenopoma, 12 black skirt tetras and a L201 Pleco

30g GSP tank (soon to be 35 gal Hex)
riggers
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by riggers »

Thanks guys, I think at the moment I am leaning towards congo puffers cause they are so cool! I don't think I would mind having a puffer that is less active to be honest. Is there anything special that they need or anything? Would they need things like snails to grind their beak down and would they need their beak trimming? Is it true that they can't have too many plants in there cause they like to bury themselves. I was thinking about maybe having half the tank planted ad half not (if I decide to get them). Would that work?
cobra1713
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cobra1713 »

well i dont they can have to many in a sense it will hurt them but i think its just it will turn out to be a pain cus they can pull up the plants when they decide to bury themselves, if i were you and you go with one then just dont overly plant it, and make sure there are some spaces in the sand for him to bury himself because they do, do it.
60g with 2 angels, 1 yoyo loach, Upside down catfish, Clown Loach, 1 leopard Ctenopoma, 12 black skirt tetras and a L201 Pleco

30g GSP tank (soon to be 35 gal Hex)
jimi
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 Tetraodon biocellatus :karma and Vipaka
1 Carinotetraodon Lorteti : gir
1 Auriglobus modestus :big red
1 Takifugu ocellatus : shark bait
Other
1 : Apteronotus albifrons
1 : Stigmatogobius sadanundio
2 : Brachygobius xanthozona
3 : Epalzeorhynchus frenatus.
4 : Pantodon buchholzi
6 : Xiphophorus helleri

Post by jimi »

i would perffer a big puffer that sites there then one that is possiblity threatened by over filtering
Redspotter
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon fluviatilis, Indy
1 Monotrete miurus, Owia
1 Monotrete baileyi, Pjotter
1 Tetraodon turgidus, Pumba
2 Tetraodon cutcutia,
2 Tetraodon biodellatus, Fly& Flo
Location (country): The Netherlands

Post by Redspotter »

It's just depending on what you want.
Do you want an active puffer go for the dwarf. Do you want something a little bit special and don't care if you not seeing your puffer in al his glorie everyday. Than go for the Miurus.
I really like the ambush/lurkers. Owia my Congo is a very nice fish, but sometimes I see her only for about 5 minutes above ground. Al the other time she's under the sand.
Tetraodon fluviatilis: Indy - Monotrete Miurus: Owia - Monotrete Baileyi: Pjotter - Tetraodon sp: Pumba - 2x T. cutcutia - 2x T. biocellatus
http://www.pufferfish.nl
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

I wouldn't hesitate for a second: go for the Congo. I am looking for one myself, and if I ever have the chance to get my hands on one...
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

riggers
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by riggers »

I am very intrigued to get one now and I can always get another tank at some point with dwarf puffers in, if i decide i do want more active puffers. So do the congo puffers need snails or anything crunchy to wear their beaks down or are they different to the other puffers?
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

I think as a rule their teeth do not grow at such an alarming rate, feeding shell on prawns is a good idea and live shrimp that has been gut loaded. The secret is not to let them get hooked on one type of food