Entertainment for MBU

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
pimms
Puffer Fry

Entertainment for MBU

Post by pimms »

Might be a silly question, but i dont want my mbu getting bored of his surroundings.

At the moment he has a rather large bit of bogwood to swim in and out of but i heard that putting a pot or pipe of somesort keeps them amused.

Can anyone recommend a good toy :)
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Pinholed ping-pong balls with a bit of water in them, but still floating, barely, plus one or two intact balls above the surface. Found that years ago from one of the aquarium mags for Oscars, and tried it for the mbu as well. Just like a toddler in a high chair or playpen, "watch the people retrieve the toys from the floor". Don't use any that crumple in adding water - if crumpled, the fish may be able to eat the plastic (I used a syringe and needle to add water, but not everybody has access to those).
Where's the fish? - Neptune
pimms
Puffer Fry

Post by pimms »

What an excellent idea!! :D

Thanks for that RTR
Steelgeek
Former Staff Member

Post by Steelgeek »

RTR -

He actually played with them?
The rare and elusive SteelGeek has been known to cause great damage to his environs...
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Attention-getting device - rather that always wagging against the glass closest to me, he would bounce the balls out of his (yes, open-topped) tank. Usually with his head, but also by spitting water. Quite similar to Archers, hunter-predator puffers are master spitters, it is a snail IDing technique.
Feathers&Fins
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Pufferless since Nova passed; had 2 red T.miuris, 4 T.biocellatus for many years.
Location (country): KY (USA)

Post by Feathers&Fins »

RTR wrote:Usually with his head, but also by spitting water.
Did you discourage the spitting? How large was this guy?

I can't help but smile at the mental image of a Puffer playing make-the-human-fetch… or Ping-Pong. :)
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Just over two feet. Not a trivial fish, more of a wet puppy dog. Feed me! Pay attention to me! It is my turn!

And every bit as messy as any pup. When a fish that big gets the wags, you get the wet vac, not a paper towel.