Some Qs

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
bsplenden
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Singapore

Some Qs

Post by bsplenden »

I would like to ask for some opinions on the Congo puffer (Tetraodon miurus). Exactly how aggressive is it as compared to other puffers like the Fahaka? As I do know each fish behaves differently, just share your experience! :D

And also, I know that when other fishes consume a puffer, the predator will die. But what about a puffer eating another puffer? I am asking this as I have never heard of a puffer eating another.

As anyone ever tried mixing different species of puffer together? Will a lurker do well with a non-lurker? (I somehow have this feeling that lurkers are aggressive and that I should not do this. But just asking. :P )

And are the teeth plates of my T.baileyi weak or what? It tried to attack the people shrimp, but it never did break the shell to get the meat inside. It has never attacked any snails, only sucked on the meat. So I am pretty worried about having to find something to grind its teeth with.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

In general, puffers are immune to puffer toxins. I suspect that the immunity is highest to their own form of the toxin, but have never seen anything in the scientific lit on comparisons across toxin types, so the inate immunity may be broad-spectrum.

Also in general, puffers do not mix well with other types or species of puffer. Many do not mix well with their own species either. But the lurkers in general coexist with conspecifics better than most, provided that there are a surplus of acceptable and visually isolated refuges and sufficient to excess total footprint and water volume. Those requirements are non-trivial. They may still fight. There are no promises at all in keeping most species and individuals of puffers with others.

I don't think it is possible to compare across feeding strategies. Plus, individual differences are greater than species differences.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
bsplenden
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Singapore

Post by bsplenden »

OK. Since different species are most likely unable to live together, I will get another tank for my incoming Congo. :twisted:

But what about the wearing down of my baileyi's teeth? The food it has been eating has been pretty meaty and shell-less. And I am afraid that this diet is causing more harm than good.
Flusher
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Flusher »

I met a guy who had three suvattiis together in one tank. He bought them all at once from the LFS who had kept them all together. I met him at the LFS - I never saw the fish or the tank, so I'm not sure about the details.

My suvattii ate (part of) a F8 that the LFS owner put in as a tankmate, a long time before I bought it. The two coexisted peacefully for a mere 30 seconds. The LFS owner was kicking himself for making such a stupid mistake. Fortunately, the suvattii seems to be doing very well.

My Congo doesn't seem to be aggressive at all. I can even hand-feed it. It swims right up to the surface to take food from my fingers, and sometimes bobs a little bit out of the water. When it gets bigger (only 2.5 - 3" right now), I'm sure I'll be more careful... ;)
susiejames101
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by susiejames101 »

My Congo puffer is a big softie!! He strted his life in his tank with a bristlenose pleco but was terrified of him and we had to return the pleco to the LFS when the congo puffed. He did kill the first 2 or 3 shrimp that I putin the tank but now he doesn't even eat those, he just looks at them as if to say 'where are my worms?' lol
He is about 3'' now and apart from becoming even less active and being dug almost all daylight hours his behaviour doesn't seem to be changing very much.
He is quite a sweetie though and is much loved :)
Sue