ID me asap please!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

ID me asap please!

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

I have been called many times about my Irrubesco showing up- to only get a false positive by the store for my 3rd time now. Can I please get a for sure if this is a Tetraodon leiurus? I can't find a definite full grown size or a definite number for min tank size?! he's only 2 inches now, and I only have a 20Long- but I could upgrade as he grows.

BUT Idk- the spotted Congo puffer was out of the hobby for decades, what if I hold out for one of my red eye Carinotetraodons and it never comes back to the hobby? I'm so torn. Any help asap would be appreciated as I don't want to loose him to someone else if I DO want him...

Also: I can't figure if it's TRULY brackish or FW....
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
Corvus
Mentor

Re: ID me asap please!

Post by Corvus »

Fang's puffer M. cochinchinensis in my opinion.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
SIP Orchid

Corvus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:34 pm Fang's puffer M. cochinchinensis in my opinion.
Thank you, I thought the same but noticed that the Leiurus has the red opalescence on the eye, instead of just the flat red like with the fangs puff- which I thought was my strongest tell...

So the fangs only get 2.5-3.5 inches in aquaria, is that true? Bc I've found the Lieurus get 6 inches or more- and the size is what's important here, I can keep a 3 inch puff, but 6 or more inches totally changes tank size, filter size etc!
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Both of these puffers have iridescent eyes. This is no characteristic of M. leiurus.

Yes, M. cochinchinensis stays around 3-4 inches as far as I know.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
SIP Orchid

Thank you so much Corvus, you have saved me much worry! It's amazing how the puffer market revolves... Africans in winter, amazon in late winter/early spring, and in the last week I have found these Conch. Target puffs in 3 different plances- all mislabeled as red eye red tails lol I do t see how they can confuse the 2! I will pass this ID back to the stores!