Request for Correction

This forum is now archived.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Request for Correction

Post by RTR »

The giveaway comment for me was the concept that fishkeepers attempt to match the wild water conditions. Other than for F0 wild-caught direct imports (quite rare in the hobby, more common for research and public aquaria) true attempts to match wild conditions are rare and massively costly. The lack of knowledge of that and its rarity in the hobby was a dead give-away that the poster was not a hobbyist.

For one thing - an not a small thing - mixed tanks would be effectively impossible. LFS only rarely know when or where wild-caught fish actually were caught.

How many folks here actually have real data on the water from which their puffers and all other fish originated? And of those, how many actually try to reconstitute wild conditions? I would bet on a very tiny fraction of the folks here, and this is a far more knowledgeable group than most forums.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Could you imagine replicating a BW habitat in our tanks???

I'm not sure what that link proves, I'm not familiar with that game.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sevenyearnight

Post by sevenyearnight »

No me neither, it's a joke. I plugged "sikrus" into google, attempting to find some info on him, like other posts on other forums, maybe some articles, something. Often times people will reuse their user names.
The 2nd link was was a character on that game, and his race just happened to be Troll.
I thought that was a funny little coincidence.
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Think about trying to match even the SAPs annual water conditions - Floodplain with very soft acid water for breeding and fry development, then back to main river channel for the balance of the year. That would be hard enough.

Estuary upkeep would be impossible. Even Dr Adey could not really bring that off, using a whole warehouse. Even his fore reef, back reef/lagoon, and seagrass 'meadows' at the Smithsonian was a mixed success. It was really striking and rather cool to watch, but it really built up a tannin load over time - or some comparable colorant. We visited often enough to see the issues.

I did set a pair of linked tidal tanks. Even that was a PITA, and the water density and chemistry was stable, not changing with the tide level as it should. The guy seriously over-rated the interest an abilities of hobbyists, or their willingness to attempt near-impossible engineering tasks. Or perhaps if he really was just a troll, he had no understanding of how much tropical conditions change seasonally.
fugu99
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Herbie (Figure 8)
Otto (Figure 8) *deceased
Henry the Figure Eighth (Figure 8)
Other: Luna (Panda Platy)
Io (Panda Platy)
Ganymede (Panda Platy)
Ocelot (Albino Pleco)
Aramis (juvenile Red Wag Platy)
Location (country): United States

Post by fugu99 »

Its a shame really, but presenting himself with that kind of attitude and attacking the people I know on here to be experts, I couldnt even read his explanation. All I heard was 'blah, blah, blah'. And it would have been nice to have another opinion of course, because I know that people here welcome a friendly argument with the ability to stand up for their viewpoint, backed up with experience (including references, or proof otherwise). Im only here to learn whatever I can and advance myself as a hobbyist for my personal interest. But he only gave me the impression that he was lording over us and wanted the satisfaction of having his command be obeyed... to me, just being a troublemaker.
"It is never easy, sweet child, to have a real gift: something else is withheld to compensate."
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Agreed. I say we write this one off as a troll and move on.
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Old fogies do not take well to orders which appear contrary to good practice or to rationality, or especially contrary to fact. Edicts from on high do not fly with me without valid and testable back-up data.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

that made for an interesting read though! you guys owned him big style. glad we got suck knowledgeable people on here fending off the rogue trolls who appear with their b/s theories and such. thank you guys for sharing all your experiences and knowledge
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Black Widow

Post by Black Widow »

bertie 83 wrote:that made for an interesting read though! you guys owned him big style. glad we got suck knowledgeable people on here fending off the rogue trolls who appear with their b/s theories and such. thank you guys for sharing all your experiences and knowledge
hehe makes you wonder why he never returned :lol: :lol:
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

yea lol
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Do we have an 'owned' smiley? If not we might need one. :)
bertie 83 wrote:that made for an interesting read though! you guys owned him big style. glad we got suck knowledgeable people on here fending off the rogue trolls who appear with their b/s theories and such. thank you guys for sharing all your experiences and knowledge
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

we should add one you guys owned him big style lol