STAFF BIOS!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

STAFF BIOS!

Post by Pufferpunk »

Pufferpunk, aka Jeni Tyrell 7/5/06

It all started when my parents couldn't afford a television, so Mom put me on top of the clean laundry in the basket to watch my Dad's fish. The rest is history! I have been keeping fish for over 32 years now & worked in the retail industry for 8.

I have had as many as 11 tanks running, ranging from 2g (ghost shrimp gut-loading/snail breeding bowl)-125g (fahaka puffertank).
Here is my experience with puffer species, etc:
-12" fahaka puffer living in a 125g w/a couple of red-tail & rainbow sharks & 2 very large plecos.
-2 (6") GSPs a 5" Ceylon. They were in a SW tank w/assorted damselfish, a tomato clown & hermit crabs.
-5 South American puffers & 1 dwarf puffer living in a 50g w/a frontosa, parrot cichlid & royal pleco.
-3 F8s living w/knights, bumblebees & a dragon goby.
-Congo (T. miurus) puffer living in a 15g.
-10g hex w/a juvenile 2", pignose/arrowhead puffer (T suvattii).
-20g tank with a 4" T. turgidus.
-20g w/a 4" A. modestus.
-A lovely 90g planted tank, w/5 assorted discus, loaches, synodontis, plecos & other oddballs.
-I have been keeping a 55g reef tank for about 2 years, soon to be upgraded to a 90g & am starting another 50g reef. There are 2 55g river tanks. 1 has assorted toads, treefrogs & African clawed frogs.
The other has an dwarf African bullfrog, African sideneck, Asian map & softshell turtle.
-Unfortunately, with all those pets, I recently had to give away all 6 assorted box turtles that had a very nice habitat in the backyard but lived in my basement in a kiddie pool during the winter. I've had some of them for well over 10 years.
(Some of those fish have been re-homed or passed away.)

I own a pufferfish website, The Puffer Forum & have served on the Crew of WetWebMedia, in addition to moderating & submitting to countless other forums in the past. I wrote the puffer fish profiles in the most recent publication of the Encyclopedia of Exotic Tropical Fishes, published articles on Green Spotted Puffers & Pufferfish Dentistry in Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine & also in WetWebMedia's online magazine, the Conciencious Aquarist, in addition to an article on Dragon Gobies. I am a scuba diver & underwater photographer. I ride my own 1982 custom Shovelhead Harley-Davidson & am an avid tattoo collector. My Jack Russell Terrier (Kalvin the Krrrrrrazydog) rides on the back.

Last edited by Pufferpunk on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
PetPirate
Gone Today, Here Tomorrow
My Puffers: 3x Tetraodon Nigroviridis in full marine

Post by PetPirate »

Hello!

I'm John (PetPirate). I am a not-so-often-seen-lately moderator of the Marine Tanks, Brackish Puffers & "Tricks of the trade" sub-forums.

I'm a Brit who has been living in Shanghai, China, since 1999. I got hooked on pet fish since moving here.

I've kept a number of tanks - currently a 55g marine tank with GSPs, a 12g nano reef, a 15g freshwater community, and a frog tank.

Living in China, I have to deal with Internet censorship. Unfortunately, TPF dropped off the Internet for me a few months ago, but I am currently able to access semi-reliably through a proxy... so you should hopefully see much more of me around.

I'm heavily into DIY, computing/programming, have a passion for travel and love cats as well as fish and most things Chinese. I am an ex-avid-glider (sailplane) pilot. My work is marketing for a "Big 4" accounting firm.

You may also see me over on Wetwebmedia answering questions, or arguing purely for the sake of argument on the Wetwebfotos user forums.

John
Created a User Gallery yet? Go On!

Affordable Metal Halide Lamps: http://www.petpirates.com
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Re: STAFF BIOS!

Post by Troender »

I'm Inger Anne, 35 years old, and from Norway. I started with fishes back in 1993/1994, with a siamese fighting fish in a little glass bowl. I didn't have a clue what I was doing back then, and actually didn't have a clue the next 10 years of fish keeping either (got all my information for LFSs, and their advices were pretty bad). I must have done every fault possible as a fish keeper, but luckily I (usually) learn from my mistakes.

Until the autumn 2006, I had two tanks, but then something happened. Suddenly my tanks started multiplying (that's what they do at night when we have gone to bed, you know), and right now I have 25 of them; 23 fresh water tanks, and 2 brackish water.

I also bought my first puffer in November 2006 (even though I had made up my mind that I would not start with keeping puffers), a GSP. The puffers also multiplied, and I now have 12 puffers (9 FW and 3 BW), 9 different species - and my little GSP, Bolla, is still with me. Freshwater puffers, and specifically carinotetraodons are my passion when it comes to our inflateble friends. But target puffers are also a great love. And my two biggest puffer dreams are; 1. getting a red t. miurus, and 2. converting my biggest tank to SW, and getting a striped burrfish.

Besides puffers, I have my biggest love for suckermouth catfishes and corydoras (and brochis) species, especially the big cory (and brochis) species.

And my speciality among specialities is spilling water in every possible and impossible way...
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Hi! I'm Clare. This bio probably won't be accurate for long, seeing as I'm nineteen and nothing stays the same for very long when you're nineteen, but... Okay, I'm a college student in Georgetown, KY. I'm majoring in Theatre (concentration in tech and production) and minoring in Sustainable Communities. I'm a writing tutor and a bookstore clerk, and I aspire to manage a community garden or own a small organic farm, plus have lots of animals and a few kids. I got into puffers in the usual way - "OMG, pretty spotty green fish! Want! Wait... What's cycling? Brackish? NINETY GALLONS for all three?" Now, I have a dwarf puffer, several bettas, quite a lot of triops of varying species, and other little critters that cohabitate with the aforementioned little critters. I run a forum for those rare few people who also keep triops with any seriousness (http://thetriopsforum.com). I analyze fish food ingredients like a pro, spill water like BP spills oil, buy organic food and fair trade stuff like a hippie, and complain about animal/human rights like a letter to the editor. Oh, and I spend too much time online. Spiffy, eh?
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

Hi! My name is Steve, better known around the globe as Dadof4. I am a 40 year old Surgical/Trauma ICU Nurse from Marshfield WI. I specialize in neuro trauma and rural trauma prevention. Prior to nursing I was a Firefighter/Paramedic in two large metropolitan area (Broward Co. FL and Milwaukee) and I utilized that time to suck up as much schooling as possible. I have received degrees in Biology with a minor in zoology, Computer Engineering, and Nursing (not in that particular order). This is the first year I have not been in school as a student...I missed it so much that I am now teaching Strategies in Rural Trauma Nursing. I also have 4 young children, I like to hunt and fish, and I downhill ski all winter long.

On to the fish part! I have been keeping fish since I was five. It started when a older cousin gave me his tank when he went to college in the same town I was living in. It was a 30 gallon long with a few native caught minnows in it and local plants. He helped me manage that tank while he was in school and taught me the correct way to keep a tank. I was hooked and I have never been without an aquarium since ( I still have the original tank running all the original equipment and all wild caught minnows).

My current tanks include:
30 gallon with 10 Rhinichthys atratulus (Blacknose Dace)
30 gallon with one Monotrete turgidus
30 gallon with one Monotrete suvattii
55 gallon with one Tetraodon nigroviridis
180 gallon with three Gobioides broussonetti (Dragon Gobies)
250 gallon with one puffer I don't discuss
120 gallon soon to be a home to a new Porc.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Hey, my name is Tess and I'm 23. I recently finished my degree in Zoology with a focus on ichthyology and entomology. I'm now about to start my Master's and I'll be lucky enough to work with exotics. I also work in equine cardiology research and I love my job. Horses are my other passion and I'm the proud owner of a wonderful horse :D

I got my first fish tank when I was around 11 years old. My parents made me do research for almost a year before I was allowed to get a fish. I saw a betta that I really liked so I filled a gallon jar with water and wrote a note for my mom in it. I covered it with tape so it was waterproof ;) Shortly thereafter Snowflake came into my life. He was the ugliest betta ever, white with brown and pink patches but he lived his life out in a 10gal heated and filtered tank.I was infected with MTS from a rather early age and I've kept puffers on an off for about 10 years. Currently I have one F8 and 4 irrubescos. As for non-puffers I have some discus, cories, rams, crayfish, and a betta.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin