New to puffers - Good food sources?

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
17mullitylj
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

New to puffers - Good food sources?

Post by 17mullitylj »

Hi everyone! I just got a figure 8 and a few pea puffers, and I was wondering a reliable source for feeder snails? I work at Petco and have been bogarting snails from all of our plant tanks, but we're pretty much run out of snails, which I never thought would happen.

I took the puffers home so I didn't have to worry about the wrong person buying them, but I'm unable to find anywhere else in town to get snails.

My local fish store sells them at an outrageous price, and the local Petsmart doesn't have snails in any of their tanks because they don't sell plants. I haven't been able to pull enough from the tanks at Petco to start breeding them because of how fast they're going through them.

Any tips on other places online I can get them?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New to puffers - Good food sources?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome! Hopefully, you have those 2 species in 2 different tanks?
I have ordered snails from eBay but if you have a source at Petco, you could breed them yourself:
library/feeding/basic-snail-breeding/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
17mullitylj
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by 17mullitylj »

Pufferpunk wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:59 pm Welcome! Hopefully, you have those 2 species in 2 different tanks?
I have ordered snails from eBay but if you have a source at Petco, you could breed them yourself:
library/feeding/basic-snail-breeding/
I've definitely got them in different tanks. My problem is sourcing enough snails to start breeding without spending a ton to start up
PufferMack
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by PufferMack »

Hello! I’m also new to puffer keeping! I kept looking online on kijiji and was able to find someone selling ramshorn snails 100 for $20, I’m going to see if I can get them breeding and supply as feeders as well! I agree with PP though, find a couple and get them set up to multiply snd maybe supplement with other food for now!