Hello puff world

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Elbaid
Puffer Fry
Location (country): France

Hello puff world

Post by Elbaid »

Hello,

Basic introduction, new to the forum scene.
I'm in love with puffers, currently keeping a lovely colony of DP, most probably all travancoricus (2 males / 3 females) in a 120l heavily planted lowboy tank.
They share their home with a few male endlers and 2 uncatchable eggeater khuli loaches.

I also have a not so baby anymore baby puffer, male, born from a previous breeding setup (with one male and female that are now in the bigger community) that has almost reached adulthood now. He grew up in a 115l planted tank with 10 pygmy cories and a breeding endler hybrids colony, bullying the cories a little and eating plenty of guppy fry.

Lastly I recently got a baby female (I think/hope) that I plan on breeding in a new breeding setup with the grown up baby male.

I'm also in a desperate search for a larger group of irrubesco (red eye red tail), 10 or so would be a good start.

On non puffer related topics I keep neocardinas in all of my tanks and experiment with endlers and more recently bettas. Also snails, obviously ramshorn, pond, bladder and MT as it remains the main food source for the puffers here.

I'm also very interested in the variants in species, travancoricus/imitator, as my breeding colony displays notable differences in growth, markings and behavior, without matching the exact characteristics described in the rare scientific papers comparing travancoricus and imitator.

A few photos and videos on my rarely updated instagram (@travancoricus), I am trying to document but mostly enjoy watching my tanks other than through a screen so it's a work in progress.

I see this forum seems to be full of information and positive fish owners and am looking forward to learn more in order to fulfill my puffer addiction.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hello puff world

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome! Congrats on your breeding brood! We have a shortage of available DPs everywhere now. Most puffer species are seasonal, so just keep looking for the irrubesco s but that many sounds like a special order from your LFS or directly from a supplier.

I'd be very concerned about keeping a betta in with any puffer.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Elbaid
Puffer Fry
Location (country): France

Post by Elbaid »

Well when I first got a baby dp, I thought it was a failure before seeing the baby. When removing the parents I put a female betta in the tank to keep the pygmy cories company. A day later, I saw the baby puff in a corner. It seemed pretty peaceful, the betta mostly ignored the tiny pea, but after the second chase I witnessed I moved the female betta back to another tank. So I agree, bettas and dwarf puffs do not seem like a good idea.
Last edited by Elbaid on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"