Newbie to pea puffers and this forum.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
SPARKACHU
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Newbie to pea puffers and this forum.

Post by SPARKACHU »

Hii

I have a planted tank with 2 amano shrimps, 4 cherry shrimps, snails and 4 neon tetras. Recently I bought 2 baby pea puffers (Sweet Pea & Puffy) however after a day Puffy was no where to be found but Sweet Pea has been active ever since. It's been a couple days and I haven't seen Puffy. I'm here looking for anyone with experience who can talk about puffers hiding. I have heard they each have their own personality? Of course sadly there is the possibility that she could have died :( Thought anyone?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Newbie to pea puffers and this forum.

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
They definitely will hide, until they feel comfortable in there. I assume you have a good top on there?
For more info: library/puffers-in-focus/dwarfpuffercare/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
TwistOfF8
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: One GSP so far
Location (country): Canada

Re: Newbie to pea puffers and this forum.

Post by TwistOfF8 »

SPARKACHU wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:06 pm Hii

I have a planted tank with 2 amano shrimps, 4 cherry shrimps, snails and 4 neon tetras. Recently I bought 2 baby pea puffers (Sweet Pea & Puffy) however after a day Puffy was no where to be found but Sweet Pea has been active ever since. It's been a couple days and I haven't seen Puffy. I'm here looking for anyone with experience who can talk about puffers hiding. I have heard they each have their own personality? Of course sadly there is the possibility that she could have died :( Thought anyone?
I've been keeping 5 pea puffers in a 15 gal tank for over a year. Just today I had a bit of a scare when one of mine seemed to have disappeared. I was worried because yesterday morning I found one bobbing helplessly around upside down, partially inflated. He was able to deflate himself but seemed a bit lethargic and was hiding a lot. This morning I could only find four of them. I tried feeding them their usual bloodworms because they all come out to eat. At first I only saw four, but then the fifth one came out of hiding.

I find they will sometimes hide if they lose a squabble with another one or if they get sick. If I'm really worried after a day or two I gently check among the plants with a chopstick to see if I can flush them out. Once I found a missing one whose eye was covered in fungus, I was able to treat them and he's fine now. Sometimes they "hide in plain sight" by turning dull olive green and staying motionless among plants. They're incredibly good at hiding because they can change colours. Unfortunately if they die it can be impossible to find the remains because they're so small and they get scavenged by the other fish. One place to check is your filter intake, that's often where tiny corpses end up.