WalMart Had Puffers on Clearnace...

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
pcplants
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

WalMart Had Puffers on Clearnace...

Post by pcplants »

I have always gawked at brackish fish, especially the puffers. I was 2 hours from home and waiting for a friend at the local Walmart and I happened to wander past the fish tanks (conveniently located next to the garden department which I can never resist). There were Tetraodon nigriviridis boppin about and I fell instantly in Lust. When the sales clerk informed me that they were discontinuing their fish department in 6 short weeks, I fell instantly into owning three little wiggle-butts. I couldn't pass them up at $5 for all three. I've kept a very simple planted tank with guppies and an ancistrus for several years....but I understand this is going to be more labor intensive. I look forward to learning from what appears to be a vast amount of knowledge on this forum.

They are currently in a 5 gallon bucket with some moss sheets (Flower likes to hide under the cave it forms) a sponge filter and some snails from my planted tank. I have two 30 gallon tanks that I am trying to cycle.....but honestly I have never cycled a tank, so I'm learning that on the fly too. Please withhold shaming over not cycling first and buying after already set up, it will serve no purpose at this point as the fish are already bought and they wouldn't have been around had I waited.

I am off to purchase a pleco and a nitrate test kit so I can be a better fish mom.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: WalMart Had Puffers on Clearnace...

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

" When the sales clerk informed me that they were discontinuing their fish department in 6 short weeks"
BEST NEWS EVER!
I hope this is a corporate decision involving each & every store.
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by livebearerlove »

Ill ecco... puffers in a bucket? would have been better at walmart.
Cycling a tank is minimum 1 month (and with puffers- make it a canister filter as the ammonia will spike ASAP from feeding). For puffers- parameters need to be perfect- all the time.

My advise: Put the guppies in the bucket- and the puffers in the already cycled tank.
$5 for 3? noting comes for free. I cant believe walmart actually has fish. Jeez.