New to puffers.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Mewtwo 89
Puffer Fry
Location (country): The US.

New to puffers.

Post by Mewtwo 89 »

Hello, I am Mewtwo 89 and for quite a while I've liked puffers but up until now I couldn't justify giving up valuable tank space for a single fish. Currently I have a 40 gallon breeder that I'm loking to set up and am looking towards getting one of the lurking predatory puffers. A hairy puffer seems to be ideal but I've not yet ruled out the idea of finding a puffer that will spend its time on the bottom waiting for prey to pass by but also will tolerate others of his kind. A duo or trio of puffers would be ideal in my mind.
I look forward to meeting other people here, especially pufferpunk as I've read a few things written about her on here and other places.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New to puffers.

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I almost NEVER see my Hairy puffer. He spends 100% of his time in a cave. I even have to put his food in the opening of the cave, so he'll eat. He also will only eat live worms--nothing else. Other folks here have much more personable Hairy puffers than mine though.

Have you considered a light-brackish tank for Figure 8 puffers? You could keep 3 in there & also a few other BW fish in a 40g.

Or there is a FW Spotted Congo puffer that has made an appearance in the past few years. They are happy, active fish but quite $$$ still, since they're new. I do believe folks are starting to be sucessful at breeding them, so I'm hoping their price will go down soon. You could keep 3 of them in a 40g.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Mewtwo 89
Puffer Fry

Post by Mewtwo 89 »

I figured they would hide a lot and it no longer bothers me and I was planning to make a cave of sorts that'll give the fish a place to hide but not fully out of sight. If live worms is all mine will eat then it would be no problem as I have a readily accessible source of night crawlers.

I have not considered brackish yet because I would prefer to stay strictly freshwater until I get a few more years of experience before I move into brackish or saltwater.

Tetraodon miurus? I had gotten my choices down to Tetraodon miurus and Tetraodon baileyi and the baileyi nudged out the miurus by a narrow margin because of the physical appearance but had I known that miurus was able to be kept together then they would have been my very first choice.
For me personally as long as I enjoy the fish enough I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money. From the prices I've seen while doing research on them I'm comfortable with their costs. The main challenge for me would be tracking them down I believe

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Baileyi is by far, one of the coolest fish I've ever seen!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Mewtwo 89
Puffer Fry

Post by Mewtwo 89 »

Tetradon baileyi is indeed a quite interesting fish, if it could be kept in a group setting with others of its own kind then it would be near perfect.