Proud new SA puffer owner

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
MNcarpenter
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Minneapolis MN

Proud new SA puffer owner

Post by MNcarpenter »

Well as the final addition to our tank collection is a 20 high with 2 adorable SA puffers Puff and Poof. I was so busy getting them settled in last night I forgot pics but they are coming soon.

So for food I have frozen: krill, mysis, daphnia, bloodworms, and uncooked deveined and peeled tail on shrimp. Also have lots of pellet food and freeze dried mysis shrimp. I have a 10 gallon with 15 adult mystery snails I’m hoping start breeding soon and about 10 pea sized ramshorn snails. I tried to get more rams horns but that’s all I could find in my lfs. I’m gonna try Petco as I know they always have snail problems. The lfs was feeding them mostly live black worms and some frozen krill. I also got a dozen ghost shrimp with the puffers.

This brings me to my first question they have never had snails so what’s a good way to introduce them to it. Also I think their teeth are about ready for a trim from all the soft black worms for 3 months. I’ve read ms222 is the thing to use fir putting them under is there a good place to get it? Lastly I’ve read oysters on the half shell can help grind their teeth down I’d like to buy a month befor I trim would oysters or muscles help? Lastly I’ve got one big bulb plant in their tank and suggestions on plants to line the back and sides with to stop their reflections? Lastly will my tap water with a ph 7.8 kh 2 Gh 12 be ok or should I adjust it? I’d like to use tap so I can do more water changes va having to mess with the water too much I’ve read they are very adaptable. Any advise would be appreciated. Oh and my posts always run long I’m sorry for that
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Proud new SA puffer owner

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sorry to be so late, I just saw this after a 2 week vacation.
Try crushing the snails, to let them get interested in the meat.
ihttps://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/pu ... focus/sap/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"