Newbie Puffer Owner

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
JennJenn
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Newbie Puffer Owner

Post by JennJenn »

Hi my name is Jenn. I recently acquired 3 tetraodon leiurus. :D (Recently as two days ago) I've always wanted to keep true freshwater puffers of substantial size but not monsters. I happened upon this beautiful species and decided to save them from a local big box fish store. I need to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can. I am not finding a lot of literature on these guys/gals at all, so I thought maybe this group would be able to help me learn. Don't cringe yet, :lol: I have done a lot of reading about puffers and do keep freshwater fish, pretty well I might add. Just new to keeping puffers. Thank you for having me!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Newbie Puffer Owner

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
T leiurus are VERY rare fish! I highly doubt that's what you found, especially at a big box store. Most likely Green Spotted puffers.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
JennJenn
Puffer Fry

Post by JennJenn »

They are definitely not GSP, those ave to be moved to brackish eventually and not what I wanted. I posted a picture, did it not show up?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You have to upload your photo to a storage site & link it here. I think thru emails, we have determined they are Fang's puffers.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

JennJenn
Puffer Fry

Post by JennJenn »

Well thank you for the determination. I will play around and see if I can figure out how to upload pics. Now to start reading! First thing to check is if they can be kept in a group😉
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

Just want to add a few pennies lol big box- likely Cochin, maybe even Turgidis (I haven't seen any pics of your puff so I threw that out there as It's about the same lever of common as the Fangs) But don't worry, they are so great to have and only get 3-4" which is a good middle size! Plus like the Leirus, they have wonderful color changing abilities with mood and surroundings!

However aquariumfish dot net was selling "fangs" a while back, and one a friend got was FOR SURE a Leirus (size, eye spot size in proportion to others, length of snout and belly coloring). She wanted a Cochin but got a Leirus (the puffer with one blind eye that I treated). Also saw a near adult about 5", that I fish sat for 4 months, but she told me he came to the states with her from Germany- so that makes more sense as far a where it could truly come from... though France and Japan are the only places I have found true pics of Leirus'. For most, I think the targets can be hard to tell apart, I have read every single ID post on here for targets and have had quite a few back and forth with the resident IDer here- and from what's Corvus has taught us, along with the back of Ebert's Aqualog for Puffers, has this taxonomy key:

1a ) Snout relatively short (eye diameter contained maximum 1.5 times in snout length); when fish rests, usually a hump is clearly remarkable on the back ----> Go To 2
1b ) Snout is relatively long (eye diameter contained two or more times in snout length); no hump on the back ----> Go To 3

2a ) Body with a distinct ocellus (eye-spot) on the side, always larger than other spots on body; spots on body irregular in form ----> Tetraodon cochinchinensis
2b ) If present, ocellus on body not larger than other spots on body; spots on body circular, the entire body more or less uniformly spotted ----> Tetraodon turgidus
2c ) No ocellus; dorsum not spotted, but with an irregular pattern ----> Tetraodon hilgendorfii

3a ) Belly not spotted ----> Tetradon cambodgiensis
3b ) Belly spotted ----> Tetraodon leiurus

Note: The systematics of this group are complex and the subject of scientific controversy. The nomenclature suggested by Maurice Kottelat (2000) is followed here. The key provided above is intended for the identification of live specimens whose origin is unknown. However, because of the variablility within this group of puffers, inevitably the key may prove of no use in the case of some individuals.

I know that wasn't the question, but it helps a bunch when figuring which target you have! The best way to know- wait and see how big it gets. Stops at 4", Cochin. 6" is Leirus, and the TUrgidis has an unmistakeable club shape to its body that no other target possess. The cutcutia is sometimes thought to be included, and if you are considering this species to be a possible option: look for the red edging on the tail, bc as juvi they can resemble more than one target group species.

Would love to see this adorable fish, regardless of species! Sounds like a fun little bruiser!
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
JennJenn
Puffer Fry

Post by JennJenn »

Whew! Lol That's a lot of information. Great information. Being as these are my first ever puffers, I'm still learning. Like you said some of these are so similar it's very hard for a newbie like me to tell. The manager from the LFS emailed and said he would write me Tuesday once back at work with all information from the supplier. I will keep all of this in mind as they grow.

I'd have to break a measuring tape out but they are currently 2.5-3" long. So it shouldn't be too long before I know for sure. I will get pictures up, still trying to figure out how to attach them.

They were sold to me as "Twin spotted/Target/T. Leiurus. But the supplier and LFS are so often both wrong as to specific species.

I really should have done more research but had I took the time they would have most certainly been scooped up by someone else. Freshwater puffers of substantial size, (not pea puffers but also not monsters) are hard to come by here. Stores try selling GPS as freshwater but we all know they need to go brackish eventually. All my aquariums are freshwater and I'd like to keep it that way.

Freshwater puffers have been a dream of mine for a while now. Big mistake I bought all 3, as he said species only. No others tank mates but definitely a group of them.

I did not plan on keeping 3 tanks with a single fish in them. I know there are plenty of people from our freshwater aquarium community that would jump on purchasing the other 2. Since I already have them home I'm sooooo attached and one is injured so I would like him/her to be fully healed before I make any decisions regarding placement.

I'll get some pics up soon. If I can't figure it out my kids can help me I'm sure once they are back from their long weekend holidays.

I'll keep you guys informed on their progress.

Funny thing my niece came to visit, had to see the new fish. She thinks I should name them Bubbles, Buttercup & Blossom after The Power Puff Girls. Her favourite childhood cartoon. I loved it but what if 1 or 2 or all 3 are boys???!!! Lol

I guess if kept separate no one would ever know right?

Pufferpunk has been a great help and they are pretty sure I have Monotrete Cichinchinensis (Fangs Puff). So for now going off this for data but I'll keep posting and asking questions to ensure they all receive the best care.

Thank you for all the info Bleedingheartmommy
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

How large is the tank you have for them? Is it cycled? Room for 2 dividers?

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

BHM, It's got a red tailspot.

JennJenn
Puffer Fry

Post by JennJenn »

The tank is 70 gallons. There is room for dividers, I just wanted them to have so much more room to swim. A friend of mine suggested dividers. Fully cycled :;): First thing I learned about before keeping fish. I always do a fishless cycle. I now keep tons of extra media as well
SamanthaM
Puffer Fry
Location (country): San Francisco CA, USA

Post by SamanthaM »

Last Month Cory McElroy of Aquarium Co-Op gave an excellent talk on freshwater puffers to the San Francisco Aquarium Society.

It was a great talk full of information and I highly recommend it to any Puffer enthusiast

SFAS created a YouTube video of Cory's talk here: https://youtu.be/iUpgvlXdCjk

A Great opportunity to learn about Freshwater Puffers!
JennJenn
Puffer Fry

Post by JennJenn »

Thank you SamanthaM!
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Thanks for that link! I'm in Sacramento and would have LOVED to attend...
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR