New forum user & new puffer fish

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
TAF79
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Malta

New forum user & new puffer fish

Post by TAF79 »

Hello and thanks for this fantastic forum. I am new to puffer fish and this forum is a great resource. I am getting a puffer fish from a friend, did my research and prep work and am waiting to get everything in order to introduce this new fish who will be alone. So I guess it's now hard maintenance work and fingers crossed.

I managed to get a photo yesterday and I identified it as a humpback puffer fish, but am not 100% sure about it. Can someone please confirm or correct me on this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfkfa94yav4no ... .jpeg?dl=0

Thanks and sincerely appreciated in advance...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New forum user & new puffer fish

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Wow, what a find! In my 40 years in this hobby, I have never actually seen one of these fish!
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug. ... bangensis/

How are you cycling his tank & how large is the tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Post by pokeystar »

Hi taf79,

Looks like a humpback puffer (long snout and eye colour) from what I know these fellas are hiders so lots of cover and expect him to laze away the day. Welcome to the forum, I too am new here and its been very helpful
Galen1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Tetraodon palembangensis - Lepton
Takifugu ocellatus - Boson - RIP
Tetraodon baileyi - Hadron
Location (country): VA, USA

Post by Galen1 »

I have a humpback, since last November. Yep, she hides ALL day in her cave. Eats about every 3 days. Doesn't even want to come out very far for food. Very shy. I think she cruises a bit at night though.
TAF79
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Malta

Post by TAF79 »

Hello and thanks for the feedback.

I had to introduce the puffer earlier than expected, half way through my plan. I had used Tetra Aqua Safe to prep the water and Tetra Safe Start for cycling with 2 gold fish and a pleco. I used some filter medium from it's previous aquarium as well (this was a calculated risk I guess). Gold fish are out of there now, but the pleco will be resident with the puffer. After 10 days with this setup, my water reads like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bqj17don4dex ... s.png?dl=0 , temp is about 27C.

It is very shy and seems not interested in eating yet. Offered it frozen smelt, as that is what it is used to, and also some prawns but no success yet. Otherwise all looks fine, no physical signs. Hopefully it just needs so more time to settle. A friend suggested beef hearts, maybe that works. Any suggestions will be appreciated :).

Thanks once more for getting back.