Person from Nova Scotia

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
pufferjkb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada -Halifax, NS

Person from Nova Scotia

Post by pufferjkb »

:D Hi puffer folk.

Until I retired in 2009 I was a law prof at Dalhousie in Halifax, Nova scotia.

Unlike most people here none of my family or friends ever had an aquarium so I didn't get pulled into having a wet pet. I did, however read "Lady with a A Spear" and enjoyed its discussion of puffers.

My recent interest in puffers developed through a mixture of (scarce) puffer books and (plentiful) puffer videos on Youtube. A comment on one of the videos referred to Puffer:Forum and that's how I wound up reading/lurking here a couple of years ago.

I have been hesitant to join because I still do not have an aquarium and probably will not acquire one even for puffers. I am the kind of person who kills cactuses by forgetting to water them, and I shudder at the thought of killing fish, who cannot make noise to get my attention. (Cats can make noise and I do live with one of them.)

I do have a very large acquarium substitute outside my front window, namely St. Margarets Bay on the South Shore of Nova scotia, and have done research on salt temperate water puffers -hence my query about Northern puffers on another topic, which has not cleared the administrators yet.

Enough for tonight-more on another day.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Person from Nova Scotia

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
We are long-time pufferkeepers here, we could walk you through the process if keeping them alive & long-lived. But it does take weekly maintenance. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferjkb
Puffer Fry

Post by pufferjkb »

I have learned a great deal about the process from reading everyone's comments here. I understand that it's a great deal of work, which is why I doubt my ability to do it reliably.

It is possible to feel a great deal of interest in a species, however, even when you can't live with one of its members. For me sucn species include puffers, corvids, manuls (pallas cats), fishing cats, and sand cats. Intelligence is a common denominator of these creatures.

I am very glad puffers exist, and to learn more about them from all of you.
pufferjkb
Puffer Fry

Post by pufferjkb »

Hi pufferpunk. I assume you've been kept busy by whatever made the forum go wierd earlier today. Thanks to all involved in fixing it - I was suffering from severe puffer withdrawal! :shock:

When u have a breathing space, I have 2 comments here (including this one) and one in the Marine Puffers category that need approval before they can be posted due to my neo status.

Thanks for all the good work you do.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think I got them all.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferjkb
Puffer Fry

Post by pufferjkb »

Yes, you got everything, thanks.

Is there anything I can look at that explains what the circular symbols at the left side of each topic mean?

I love your pictures of your georgeous red fish (miurius?).