Hi :)

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Ayre
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Hi :)

Post by Ayre »

Hello,
I am happy I came across this site!
I am redoing my 150 gallon and am considering a puffer. So here I am to do some research. It will be quite a bit before I get one. (if I find it appropriate)
I was deciding between a trigger and puffer but the trigger is too big for my tank.
I buy fish for their lifetime. I don't trade them in. I also adore puffers and researching them now.
Currently I have a 10 year old false percula (Elmo) and his 5 year old friend (maxine) and a 10 year old brittle star. Hubs bought me a 40 breeder to move them to. We have not started work on it yet..lol. I am trying to talk him into a bit bigger one so my starfish won't be cramped.
As for the 150g I am adding some stuff to it.
I just bought a refugium tank and want it going good and stable before adding fish. I upgraded lights to led. I have some rock . I can't decide if I want more or to leave headroom for swimming. I will be adding a dbs, rock and chaeto to the refugium. I just got new powerheads.
They may be a bit strong for a puffer..but that is one of the things I need to learn.
My skimmer is a reef octopus. I am putting in a baffle this week to keep water height stable. I have always battled that with this skimmer! But the baffle should fix it.
I bought a new wave maker for the power heads.
Ok. I think I covered how the system is set up. I guess before I go any further, can I keep a puffer preferably a dogface for its lifetime physiologically and psycologically healthy? I am looking for a wet pet :)
Thank you
Ayre
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hi :)

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Your tank is perfect for a dogface or porcupine!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Ayre
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by Ayre »

That is fantastic news!
Omg, after reading about dogfaced and the porcupines on here the choice will be hard. I have a couple of months to decide which one though, since the 40 has to cycle ( after I get it set up) lol
I look forward to getting to know you all :)
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum. I had to make the choice between a dogface and porcupine recently, it was tough but the porc won for me.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly