Hello from Southport

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
TinyWings
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Hello from Southport

Post by TinyWings »

Hi everyone, my name is Anne, and I have been considering having a puffer fish for quite a long time now. My favorite puffer is the Porcupine, but in fairness to the fish, I really do think I would find setting up a good tank for one of these quite beyond me. However, I also think the GSP's are rather adorable, and also the little dwarf puffers. I have much, so much to learn first though, as being involved deeply in rescue for around 23 years I have seen all to many times the cost to the animal when people leap in first, and learn later.It's not just unkind, but all too often, it kills.
So, here I am to learn, learn and learn some more. I am truly starting from scratch, basically clueless. In fact, I give myself too much credit there, I am TOTALLY clueless.
I already have a tank, 34 US gallons which recently became vacant due to the demise of my beloved Betta fish, Ernest. He was a rescue fish, in a very poor state when I first got him, and he brought joy to my life for over four years before his time came to 'swim home'. Over 2 months on, and I still miss that tiny little face, bless him.
Am more than happy to share some of my many rescue stories and video journals, but only if you would like to hear about them, I would hate to bore you, and this intro is a bit of an epic as it is :D
So, that's a little bit about me for now :)
Here is a video of what was Ernest's tank,this is the tank my puffer would be moving in to. I have now shared out all his belongings to other people who have fish, so the set-up will be completely fresh, new, and in this case, live only I think, not live plants AND plastic. Would that be best?
Would be glad of opinions as to whether it would be large enough for one GSP, or 2 or 3 dwarf puffers. Currently, I feel more of a pull towards the GSP, but my heart and my mind are open :)
here is the tank, and my beautiful little pal Ernest <3
Warmest regards from
Anne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_m6F2ulnFg
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hello from Southport

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
You've come to the right place!

Since there's no fish in the tank now, you're going to have to get it ready for the bioload of puffer/s.
Go to our Library for a great education here. Under the Learn tab, above. Pufferpedia is great for profiles, too.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
TinyWings
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Re: Hello from Southport

Post by TinyWings »

Thank you so much PufferPunk, I will do as you advise. I only found this forum a matter of hours ago, yet already I have seen your name pop up time after time offering guidance, giving advice, and being unoffensively direct where you see a need. Usually, it is me in that position, except with questions/problems/concerns etc regarding parakeets, parrots, wild bird rescue, rabbit health/behavioral problems and so forth. I appreciate fully the time, the patience, and often the huge amount of self control needed when all you want to do is throttle someone :? Being a floundering air-brain of a newcomer is quite a strange experience indeed, it's quite daunting! A good one to remember and bear in mind when I'm starting to feel a little stretched and drained and grumpy ;) The boot is well and truly on the other foot for me this time :) And now, I am off to learn :D