Hello from Virginia!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
IbanezRG
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Alexandria, Va

Hello from Virginia!

Post by IbanezRG »

Hey everyone,
I have been lurking the forum for awhile and finally had to post because one of my puffers was sick. Pufferpunk pinpointed the issue and he is better now.
I have 2 puffers, a DFP (Mr Ed) and a PP (Puffy). They are in a 120 FOWLR. I actually got lucky and both puffers are pretty passive. They live with shrimp and crabs and don't bother them. They didn't even mess with my sexy shrimp or pom pom crabs.
Anyway, wanted to say hi to everyone! I look forward to chatting with you further. Timmay!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hello from Virginia!

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
So glad I could help! Maybe post a bit about the problem & what you did to correct it?

I'm afraid eventually, your crabs/shrimp will be food.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
IbanezRG
Puffer Fry

Post by IbanezRG »

Well, I will definitely chalk it up to owner negligence. When I got him the only thing he would eat is krill. I didn't know it was bad for them. He wouldn't touch the frozen shrimp that my PP would eat. Once you pointed me in the direction of lock jaw, I removed the krill from his diet. I tested a couple other foods and found out he liked Marine Cuisine. I fed that to the tank but I would hold it so big chunk would float by him and he would eat it. After about a week he was back to normal. Now I am still trying to get him on frozen shrimp so he can keep his beak down.
So far they have shown no interest. My coral banded even intimidates my PP. When I first saw it I though the CB was done for. The PP was giving him that look of "snacktime" but then turned away. The only time I have seen any type of interest is my DFP nipped at my Mexican conk when the conk was dying. Even then he nipped at it then left. The DFP even approaches my cleaner shrimp and lets them clean him. Probably when they get bigger I might have an issue but I am hoping to keep them fed enough to not bother the little guys. It's nice having the "maids" clean up after the puffers. :)
Thanks again Pufferpunk, I definitely owe you one. Timmay!!!
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Welcome! I like the tank. I have a feeling the shrimp will be a snack eventually but i do have turbos, nerites and an emerald that have been in with my gsp for about 6 months now. Then again i know anything i put in the tank is possibly food. I wish your cuc the best of luck. : )
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
IbanezRG
Puffer Fry

Post by IbanezRG »

IbanezRG wrote:Well, I will definitely chalk it up to owner negligence. When I got him the only thing he would eat is krill. I didn't know it was bad for them. He wouldn't touch the frozen shrimp that my PP would eat. Once you pointed me in the direction of lock jaw, I removed the krill from his diet. I tested a couple other foods and found out he liked Marine Cuisine. I fed that to the tank but I would hold it so big chunk would float by him and he would eat it. After about a week he was back to normal. Now I am still trying to get him on frozen shrimp so he can keep his beak down.
So far they have shown no interest. My coral banded even intimidates my PP. When I first saw it I though the CB was done for. The PP was giving him that look of "snacktime" but then turned away. The only time I have seen any type of interest is my DFP nipped at my Mexican conk when the conk was dying. Even then he nipped at it then left. The DFP even approaches my cleaner shrimp and lets them clean him. Probably when they get bigger I might have an issue but I am hoping to keep them fed enough to not bother the little guys. It's nice having the "maids" clean up after the puffers. :)
Thanks again Pufferpunk, I definitely owe you one. Timmay!!!
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

welcome :) love that they allow the shrimp to clean them! I'm tempted to try one with my gsp... livealielivealie, timmah!
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
IbanezRG
Puffer Fry

Post by IbanezRG »

Thanks Welch and Hadla!
Just so everyone knows I am trying trying to have an invert massacre in my tank. :) It was originally going to be a reef tank so I wasn't going to get a puffer even though I always wanted one. The tank had been cycled and had a cleanup crew in it for a week or two. A local LFS had Puffy and he had been there a couple days and was getting bad and basically stuck against the return vent. After a couple more days my girlfriend really felt sad so I talked to the guy at the LFS. He said he couldn't get it to eat and thought it was going to die so he sold it to us for $15. I figured if anything I could try to get him healthy and then find someone who would like him. Turns out he just didn't like what the LFS was feeding him and loved frozen shrimp. Well, of course he grew on me so the reef tank was out and the puffer was in. Maybe because he was originally sick he didn't mess with my cleanup crew and for now, he has no interest. He lets me hand feed him so I know he gets enough.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum. Puffers will only tolerate shrimp for a short while. Once they shed they are irresistible, my valentini took both mine down and they were bigger than him
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

bertie 83 wrote:Welcome to the forum. Puffers will only tolerate shrimp for a short while. Once they shed they are irresistible, my valentini took both mine down and they were bigger than him
Huh I didn't think of that, glad I didn't get one yet!

Although... I could set up the rocks with a pvc pipe thing for the shrimp to hide in somehow...
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
IbanezRG
Puffer Fry

Post by IbanezRG »

Thanks everyone! I know they will probably not get along later but it's nice to hope. lol
At least pictures last :)
Here is the DFP trying to get the shrimp to clean him today but the shrimp wasn't interested. Either that or he is hoping by opening his mouth the shrimp will jump right in. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Awww... great shot! Looks like he wants a shrimpdentist.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"