Hello from a new member

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
5 GSPs
Location (country): South Leicestershire
England

Hello from a new member

Post by TrevorA »

Hi,

Trevor here, I've kept fish all of my life pretty much, mainly pond fish and have a pretty nice Koi collection and large pond.

I've also had several aquariums, both marine and tropical, but after several years, as my favourite fish start to die and so on lose interest and move on.

Always loved puffers but thought they were way too complicated to keep but have spent weeks reading and realised that isn't true, just demanding.

We've got a normal large tropical tank downstairs with all the predictable fish in but my wife suggested we got a spare tank made up for the bedroom just for decor. And I decided that was my puffer excuse, that was a 20 gallon tank, all setup and ready to go with one of the large canisters taken from the tropical and water transferred so nicely cycled and I decided I needed green spotted puffers. We went to see them and my wife loved them too, so after a few days on gumtree I managed to get a 60 gallon Hex tank for a really stupid price. Got it all setup and tested and we are now the proud owners of 4 baby GSPs. I know I will have to rehome them as they grow larger but that's just an excuse to get more tanks :)

Depending on how we get on with these there are definite plans for a Nile puffer too, but need to make sure that I'm happy with how the GSPs are doing and that 20 gallon tank could well have a figure 8 occupant.

Actually beginning to wish, although it looks lovely and some adorable fish, we hadn't setup the big tropical, good starting place for the Nile.

Still reading everything I can find but I'm sure there's loads of questions too.

Seems to be some debate on whether the GSPs NEED brackish, marine or freshwater, with the majority coming down on the side of at least brackish. Be interesting to hear any actual side by side studies to see the difference, without that I'll be going for brackish as they seem happy in that. My fish store, pretty big and well respected, sold them as freshwater fish that will tolerate brackish conditions.

Trevor
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hello from a new member

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Comb through our Library (found under the Learn tab) for anything you need to know.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome fellow englander
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

Welcome!

We would love to see pics of your fish!
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

Fish pics coming soon, don't suppose this forum has a tapatalk interface?

I'll have to upload pics on my laptop if not.

Just had a mad 90 minutes putting the correct new filter onto the puffer tank, obviously transferring media and horrendous panic as the filter fittings are through the floor of the tank and nothing to cap them, had to use tie wrapped fish bags:) quite a lot of water escaped, I'm very popular as it's a bedroom tank:) but all done now and need to monitor carefully to make sure the filter and mediate active immediately.

Then had to get the filter back in my main tank before the bacteria died so hoses everywhere, lol.
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
Comb through our Library (found under the Learn tab) for anything you need to know.
I need to know everything, it's a curse:)
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

Post by martini57 »

TrevorA wrote:
Well that makes 2 of us! Welcome Trevor
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
5 GSPs
England

Post by TrevorA »

martini57 wrote:
TrevorA wrote:
Well that makes 2 of us! Welcome Trevor
Lol, fun though