New to the site, and I love it!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Soph<3GSP
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Emerald and Peridot the GSP's
Location (country): Ipswich, Suffolk, England

New to the site, and I love it!

Post by Soph<3GSP »

Hi everyone, I'm Sophie, and I am the proud owner of 2 gorgeous Green Spotted Puffers called Emerald and Peridot! Puffer-fish have always been a favourite of mine :D

When I got my first job working at a pet shop last August (2013), I was seeing GSP's pretty much everyday and I just couldn't help myself and bought 2 of them! I already had a tropical fish tank, so I set it up to be a brackish tank (after removing my tropical fish of course) and since October 2013 they have both been doing extremely well :D I cannot wait to (hopefully!) watch them grow and become adults.

This site is amazing! I've learnt so much and really enjoy reading through all the different forum topics. Big thanks to the owners of this site for creating it!

I hope to add some pictures of my puffers soon, whenever I can get them to keep still that is :lol:
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: New to the site, and I love it!

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Welcome sophie. Cant wait to see your pix :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I'm really happy you found us, too! Now your shop has someone who can offer factual info about puffers!
Please tell us more about your set up.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Soph<3GSP
Puffer Fry

Post by Soph<3GSP »

Thanks all for the welcome! I only have a 60 Liter aquarium at the moment (I am fully aware they need a bigger tank, I am planning on getting a 250 Liter tank when they get over 2 inches, they are just under 2 inches at the moment) I have bogwood in there, sand as substrate and lots of fake plants. When I get the larger tank and I am planning on used crushed coral as the substrate. There is not much choice when it comes to brackish water plants where I live but I do have some small bits of Vallisneria I am trying to grow in there. I also have two empty freshwater clam shells in there (they were ones I had kept a while back in my freshwater tank that unfortunately died but left me with pretty shells) and a little rock cave they like to sleep in.
They both get on really well together (at the moment!) They both, along with other puffers, came into the shop together very young and placed into the same tank, so I felt comfortable getting two of them as they had been used to other puffers company.
I feed them a varied diet of bloodworms (frozen mostly, but live as a treat every now and then) half clams on the shell, snails (I have my own snail tank in which I breed them), brine shrimp in garlic, krill and recently we have been getting live Mysis in at the shop I work at and my puffers love them!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

The upgrade will need to happen very soon, stunting will be likely if not. What salinity are you currently running at? The bog wood will be likely to rot in salty water so is best removed. I don't believe there are any plants that will survive at the salinities gsp puffers need but micro algaes will be a possibility. Krill is best avoided as it is linked to lockjaw in puffers.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I do still feed krill on occasion. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it isn't the main staple food.
Be sure to read out GSP article in the Library here. You're welcome to print that out & offer to everyone purchasing one. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Soph<3GSP
Puffer Fry

Post by Soph<3GSP »

Don't worry I am fully aware about the bogwood in saltwater :) I don't plan on having it when I upgrade :) I got my puffers when they were very young so I wanted my tank to represent a similar environment where they would be at that age in the wild. They are growing well and seem very healthy.
Salinity I need to check when I go to work tomorrow as my hydrometer is not working, luckily we have refractometers at work I can use :)
I have read that article Pufferpunk, it is fantastic! And that is a really good idea, I'm going to mention it to my boss and see what he says! :D
puffermichigan
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP: Jahdio (Jellybean, rip we miss you)
Location (country): U.S. (midwest)

Post by puffermichigan »

Welcome to the forum!