hello!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Smomus
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green spotted puffer
Location (country): Utah, USA

hello!

Post by Smomus »

Hi all!
I am new to the puffer world. Last Wednesday, 6/13, after much research, I finally purchased my first green spotted puffer. My daughter quickly named him Goblin and he was later christened with the full name of Green Goblin.
He is currently only about an inch long and still 100% fresh water. He is in his very own, cycled 20g with a marineland penguin 200 filter with ammo:0 nitrite:0 nitrate: ~15 temp: 78.
So far, I've fed him snails that Petsmart gave me for free, frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. He has a very healthy appetite and quickly goes after anything dropped in his tank. I've set up a 3g tank to breed snails in so that i'm not required to run to Petsmart as often.
He is still shy and any time we walk up to his tank he hides among the decorations. Sometimes it almost seems he plays hide-n-seek with us. If we hang back and he doesn't see us, he just cruises around the tank. I've only seen him glass surf a time or 2.
Anyway, i've read many threads here and finally decided to join. :) Looking forward to getting to know ya all!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: hello!

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum, well done on cycling his tank ready for his arrival. Some one will post some helpful links shortly for you. It is cheaper and better long term to go full marine.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
trekenk
Fahaka Puffer

Post by trekenk »

Hello and welcome. Here is a great link to start.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=28469
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Oh and just to add long term you will need a larger tank. 30g min is recommended but bigger is better, the bio load of these guys is huge.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

Hello friend. I'm glad you're searching around for more info.
Kind regards,
Terrance
Smomus
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green spotted puffer
Location (country): Utah, USA

Post by Smomus »

bertie 83 wrote:Welcome to the forum, well done on cycling his tank ready for his arrival. Some one will post some helpful links shortly for you. It is cheaper and better long term to go full marine.
bertie 83 wrote:Oh and just to add long term you will need a larger tank. 30g min is recommended but bigger is better, the bio load of these guys is huge.
Thank you for the welcome. As my puffer gets bigger I would like to go full marine and recognize that also means larger for everything. Good excuse to get another tank, no? ;)
trekenk wrote:Hello and welcome. Here is a great link to start.
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=28469
Thank you to for the welcome. Your link was one of the first things I read here. Very well written!
Terrance wrote:Hello friend. I'm glad you're searching around for more info.
Hi Terrance! Glad to see you here. Never enough info! My friends have deemed me obsessed! Haha