New here, from WI. Sick GSP.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Re: New here, from WI. Sick GSP.

Post by sevenyearnight »

Maybe more garlic as well?
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

Post by LongGrain »

the clove of garlic soaked with the food/medicine overnight, I doubt there was a shortage of garlic haha.

so should I or should I not treat the water? some say yes, some say no. I don't want to make anything worse.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Med is cheap, go for it. He looks really bad, I'm afraid... I think even though he spits out the food, some meds are getting in him.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

I treated the water and removed the filter cartridge as per the direction (since I can't remove my carbon separately), going to feed him more treated food tomorrow morning at his normal feeding time. Ugh I hope he gets better, I feel so bad for him.

I'm probably going to order a skimmer very soon here. I think I've decided on either a bak-pak 2 or bak-pak 2r, but I'm not sure which. The 2 has a biobale in it, which i THINK means I could get rid of my marineland 200 biowheel. The 2r doesn't have the bio bale and says that it is designed to use with reef aquariums without a mechanical filter, but I don't think I have enough live rock yet to completely eliminate my biowheel/mech filter. So should I get the bakpak 2 because it has a bio filter/bale in it? or go with the 2r and use both my current filter and the skimmer? This is all kind of confusing to me, I know I don't have enough live rock/sand to go completely sans mechanical filter, but I also need a good protein skimmer. SO! which one do I get? and should I run it in tandem with my current filter? or take my current filter out. I'm pretty much ready to order as soon as I get a clear answer.
wagner7123
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Usa, north pole alaska

Post by wagner7123 »

ditch the bio bale viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29008
I'm pretty sure I have a blue thumb.
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

So I should just go with the 2r, which doesn't have a bio bale? And then run both the skimmer and my filter?

ordering now.
wagner7123
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by wagner7123 »

I have the 2 r, there is an extra baffle that is supposed to reduce the amount of micro bubbles in the tank, but I'm not sure it works that well. The regular 2 I think would be better, you can remove the bio bale and put a heater in the chamber. If you are having microbubble issues after that you can get the bubble trap. However, if the regular 2 releases any more bubbles than my 2r, I'd probably be pretty upset. If I were going to buy another I'd want the regular 2, but thats probably just because I have the 2r. either way, it really makes no difference as you won't be using the bio bale in any case.
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

So why do you think the 2 would be better? The 2r is cheaper (albeit 5 bucks), doesn't have the biobale, and has the extra baffle for bubble reduction. What advantage does the 2 have, since I would be removing the bio element anyway?
wagner7123
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by wagner7123 »

because you can fit a heater in the 2. I have a heater in my 2r but i had to modify it to get it to fit.
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

how big is your heater? mine is like 12-13"

is it common to put your heater in the protein skimmer?
wagner7123
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by wagner7123 »

The diameter is the issue, its about 1" or so and I have to wedge it between the wall and the return tube. I have no idea if others put them in their skimmer, but the less stuff in the tank the nicer it looks i think, also with it in the skimmer there is no chance of your fish getting burned by it.
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

I just ordered a bak pak 2, I still don't know whether to keep my marine land filter in the tank or not once I get it. Going to try to put my heater in there as well. From the pictures I've seen, it should easily fit.