Whats going on from Nellis AFB, Las Vegas

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Anubisscott
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States, Nevada, Las Vegas(Nellis AFB)

Whats going on from Nellis AFB, Las Vegas

Post by Anubisscott »

Well, needless to say I have always been fond of puffers. Even thinking of doing a GSP for a 29g at work and getting a MBU when I get my 300g next tax return. I am stationed here at Nellis AFB and as some on here might know me from other forums I am a cichlid guy. However, Puffers have definently got my attention and I hope to be keeping some myself shortly. Thanks Pufferpunk for realing me in from MFK's puffer section. Your passion for puffers is definently inspiring.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Whats going on from Nellis AFB, Las Vegas

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
We were just discussing a 29g for a GSP. I think it's too small. Would you be against a couple of F8s & maybe some tank mates instead? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23808

Also, you're going to need much larger than 300g for a mbu:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=150
library/puffers-in-focus/mbuforyou/

One can dream though... ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Anubisscott
Puffer Fry

Post by Anubisscott »

See, thats why I am doing my homework first. Pufferes are definently defferent then cichlids so I am doing my research. I have seen people say that too about GSP's, but for a solo fish that only gets between 6"-7" I don't understand how a 29g wouldn't be. Would have to change my stance on convicts in 29g's then as they get the same size or larger.

MBU's I am still researching and I just read that yours just resently died. Very sorry for your loose. Still trying to get a solid answer on how large Mbu's get. If the tank is wide enough, tall enough, and long enough with the proper filtration I don't see why a tank like a 560g wouldn't work. Many keep Cichla(PBASS) in smaller 500-800g tanks and I know they get larger then MBU's.

Anyway, I got nothing but time as I won't rush into this. Going to sit back, and take in the knowledge first just as I wish people would with me on cichlids. Especiall Amphilophus genus. lol
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I've never heard of a 30" cichlid but am not aware of every species. I doubt there are any that maintain the total mass or intake of food (& out put of poop ;)), than a mbu. Same with the GSP, imagine a Nerf ball trying to swim around in a 29g tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Anubisscott
Puffer Fry

Post by Anubisscott »

Pufferpunk wrote:I've never heard of a 30" cichlid but am not aware of every species. I doubt there are any that maintain the total mass or intake of food (& out put of poop ;)), than a mbu. Same with the GSP, imagine a Nerf ball trying to swim around in a 29g tank.
With cichlids the only one that reaches 30" long is the "Emperor cichlid".When I say Cichla, I am refering to Peacock bass which ofcourse get to be well over 30" long and definently can put away more food then the MBU as thats what they are built to do. As far as waste I couldn't tell ya. Amphilophus Chancho Vs Oscar would be an example of that. Chancho's max at 19", yet a 12" Oscar will creat more waste as they are just a messier fish. So since I haven't kept both fish I couldn't tell ya waste output.

With the 29g and the GSP, your talking a 12"W x 30"L x 18"H isent big enough for a 6" fish? Do GSP's get larger then 6" and I have read wrong on that? I get the metaphor, but is this nerf ball a golf ball, foot ball, basket ball, tennis ball, ect? Just making sure I got the right info.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

GSPs (& other hunter/seekers) like to swim--a lot. The footprint of 30", just doesn't make it comfortable for this. A 30g has the length of 36" & would be a lot better for them in length. I think they'd even be happier in a 55g as a singleton.