Hello(:

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
poopybarkflounder
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP
Location (country): united states

Hello(:

Post by poopybarkflounder »

hello!(:I don't currently have a puffer fish but I am planning to get a Green Spotted Puffer. Could any one tell me if they are as hard to care for as they seem?
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Re: Hello(:

Post by Brandon8521 »

[welcome]

library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/

They are easy to care for if you do your research on both the puffer and bw/sw setups. Water quality must stay in pristine condition and they require a varied diet. If your new to fish keeping in general then i would suggest a freshwater species as a beginner and make sure you read up on how to cycle a tank. Sorry if you already know all of this, but you would be supprised as to how many people jump into puffer care not knowing how to care for them (myself included.)
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I think you should research them using the articles and PufferPedia information on this site, as well as maybe looking through some old posts about GSP's.
I would agree with Bcummings though, if this is your first time getting a puffer, I would go with a dwarf puffer, which is a freshwater species, as they are very easy to care for.
Whatever you decide the best thing you can do is to research, research and research some more. :D
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
JoseDepacos
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Valentini- Ripley
Location (country): USA

Post by JoseDepacos »

Easily one of the most expensive considering the amount of salt you will go through with frequent, large water changes. Not trying to change your mind but it is something to consider. Once they mature some and can be kept in full marine, some of the burden can be eased by having a good skimmer and plenty of live rock.
poopybarkflounder
Dwarf Puffer

okay thanks everyone(:
ive done lots of research. so i know most things, but how often and how much ater should i change? and i know they eat a varied diet so i was thinking frosen blood worms and brine shrimp? as well as a snail once a week?
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Most people, myself included, do 50% water changes every week. If you get a GSP, you will want to feed him more than bloodworm and brine shrimp. I feed mine a variety consisting of: raw shrimp, mussels, snails (more than just one snail once a week), bloodworms soaked in vitamins, and sometimes earthworms.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
poopybarkflounder
Dwarf Puffer

about how many and what size snail a week?
and where do you get food for your gsp?
sorry for so many questions :o but i dont wanna mess up (:
also, when i cycle the tank for my puffer should i put fish in then take them out when its puffer time? or can it cycle with out fish?
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

It can all be a bit overwhelming can't it ;)

You'll want the snails to be approximately the size of the fish's eye and I would probably feed as many as I had available. Do you have a reliable clean source for snails? Most of us breed our own.

You can get food at your local fish store (like bloodworms, krill, mysis shrimp, red shrimp, etc.) and you can also get frozen raw seafood from your local grocery store :) All food should be soaked in a vitamin supplement (like Vita-Chem) for a while before feeding. I soak my fish's food in a shot glass in the fridge.

Here are some articles that will help with your feeding and cycling questions a bit more :)
library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
library/water-filtration/youchlorinechloramines/
library/feeding/basic-snail-breeding/
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
library/feeding/feedingproblems/

I hope you have a lot of free time available :lol:
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
poopybarkflounder
Dwarf Puffer

do the blood worms and such at the pet store come in a regular fish food container? o:
also they sell baby snails at local pet stores. are they okay to feed a puffer?
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Post by Brandon8521 »

Its best to go to a decent pet store that has a snail only tank and buy some pond and ramshorn snails and breed them yourself. The bloodworms should either be live or in frozen cubes not the in a regular fishfood container. Also if your like me and live next to a water source you can allways to and dig up your own freshwater clams and then freeze them and use that as food also. I have been doing that for a couple months now (keep in mind you want to make sure that the water source you get them from isnt known to be polluted.) Another thing you can feed them is store baught shrimp with the shell on. There are so many ways you can get food for these guys and if your smart about it most of it will be free.