greeting from las vegas!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
BattleBorn702
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

greeting from las vegas!

Post by BattleBorn702 »

hey guys, first off thanks for the wealth of information found on this site!
I'm now the proud owner of two GSP's, in a newly cycled 60g!
unfortunately one of them definitely has IP's, and the other one probably does as well. signs aren't as visible, but I think I saw him rub against the rocks a bit. other than that, they've got bright white bellies, green heads, and seem happy enough in their new home. I love them already.
They gobbled up their first meal of med soaked bloodworms last night so hopefully they're on the road to recovery. I'll see how they like some raw shrimp tonight. :)

I don't have a QT tank, and I'm relatively new to fishkeeping. so my question is, after the IP's have cleared up, do I need to deep clean my filter(AC110) or anything to make sure it doesn't come back?
(probably a question for the hospital, but I'm sure you've all got more experience than me so I thought I'd ask)

thanks so much for the help everyone! whether you know it or not, you've probably helped me in the bazillions of threads I've read here!
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Re: greeting from las vegas!

Post by J-P »

Welcome to the forum! Gald to hear you are doing your research :)
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Post by PolishPuff »

[welcome]
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Post by Brandon8521 »

Welcome to the forum. Im sure most of us have been in your shoes especially us GSP owner..... or are we the pets :?
BattleBorn702
Puffer Fry

Post by BattleBorn702 »

well just my luck... my air conditioner died and it's a hundred degrees outside. awesome.
by the time I noticed, my tank had jumped 2 degrees, so it's sitting at 79 right now. I immediately opened the glass tops and set up a fan, and it doesn't seem to have raised at all since then. I just checked on it and noticed my heater kick on so I went ahead and unplugged that, added an airstone, and adjusted the fan a bit so it's really blowing down towards the tank. I'll check on it again in an hour or so and see how it's doing. the fish are using my only fan so I should be up anyways... :lol:

hopefully nobody decides to jump before I can get the AC fixed :?
and I'm not quite so worried about tonight, it's the afternoon heat I'm really worried about. :shock:
Ohyouknow
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Vicious (T. Lineatus - Fahaka)
Location (country): Indiana, USA.

Post by Ohyouknow »

Hello Battleborn!

I got my tanks set up before I got AC, and never even thought about how hot it got. I eventually talked my boyfriend into gettin A/C - but it got to the point of putting water bottles of frozen water in my tank to help cool the water.

What are you doing to treat for IPs? I see you said you soaked your bloodworms (was unsure if you meant in vitamins or meds). You shouldn't have to deep clean your filter - but you could treat the whole tank with some jungle fizz tabs. (That's a great product for the food itself too!)

Welcome to the forum!
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
BattleBorn702
Puffer Fry

Post by BattleBorn702 »

whew... we made it! lol
The air conditioner is fixed, and just three days before the warranty expired! 8)
had to float bags of ice for a while, but all is well now. The IP treatment seems to be working. I've been using Tetra's version of Jungle fizz, which looks like it uses similar meds. I've been soaking their food in a cup of tank water, with a quarter fizz tablet and a drop or two of vita-chem. I'll probably treat them one or two more times and see how they're doing after that.
Thanks for the advice Ohyouknow, I wasn't looking forward to deep cleaning a fairly new filter! :lol:
I've got a few questions about preventing future nasties, but I'll start a new thread for those in General Discussion.

thanks for the replies everyone, nice to meet you all!
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

welcome, i just got down with treating for IP's, and havent seen any thing to suggest its still a problem in my tank. His other tank mate is still doing good. I wouldnt worry about your filter, plus a deep clean would kill all your bacteria and then you would be cycling all over again
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, and it sounds like you are well on your way to being a very conscientious puffer keeper! :D
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"