New looking for advice.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
xxjtvxx
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Pennsylvania, USA

New looking for advice.

Post by xxjtvxx »

So I am new to this forum stuff, and I am not sure how it works, but I am looking for any advice or tips on taking care of Green Spotted Puffers. (Tetraodon nigroviridis)
trekenk
Fahaka Puffer

Re: New looking for advice.

Post by trekenk »

Welcome to The Puffer Forum.
Here ya go, great article on the GSP.

library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
Ohyouknow
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Vicious (T. Lineatus - Fahaka)
Location (country): Indiana, USA.

Post by Ohyouknow »

Welcome to the forum!

If you check out under the 'Learn' tab at the top of the page, and select the PufferPedia, you can find information on all different kinds of puffers. Here is a link to the Green Spotted Puffers:

ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Nigroviridis/

That page will tell you all of the basic information specific to the GSP.
If you have any questions about how to prepare a tank for bringing home your new GSP, here is a link to fishless cycling:

library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/

I've never owned a GSP before, but many people here have. I'm sure that they will soon chime in with welcomes and advice!
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
xxjtvxx
Puffer Fry

Post by xxjtvxx »

Thank you for your help.
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

[welcome]
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Is there anything specific you would like to know? Hard to know where to start, although I suppose you could tell us how big your tank is, how long it's been cycled and what SG you're at.

And also, welcome to the forum! :D
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
zombiefetus
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Illinois, USA

Post by zombiefetus »

Welcome to the forum :)
(^oops, domain expired! Current url is: http://greenspottedpuffer.webs.com)
xxjtvxx
Puffer Fry

Post by xxjtvxx »

Well my tank is a 30gal. (113.56l). I am using stress-zmye from API to cycle it while my puffer in it. It is 30inx12inx18in (76.2cm-30.48cm-45.72cm).
The hydrometer I bought doesn't give reading in low brackish range. I am just looking for tips or tricks people have learned through out the years while caring for Green Spotted Puffers.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Ah, I'm really sorry to hear that you are cycling your tank whilst your puffer is in it. That's a big no-no. Now, I'm not hollering at you .... so please try and take this the right way.
First of all, puffers don't have scales, nor gill covers, and are very sensitive to nitrite and ammonia, two things that are usually very high during a cycle ... so that's not good for your puffer. Secondly, Stress-Zyme doesn't work to cycle a tank, trust me, we've all tried different things and that is useless. You should try to get some Dr Tim's if you can't get some used mature media for your filter (which is the best quickest way to get your tank cycled). I wouldn't bother with adding salt until you have your tank completely cycled.
It's very important that you get that tank cycled because a puffer may not make it through the cycling process. Don't you know anyone with a mature tank that you can possibly borrow some filter media from? That would help loads to get your tank going and to help your puffer survive.
So mainly right now, I think you should concentrate on trying to get some used filter media .... or if you can't get any media, do you know anyone with a freshwater tank that's got an external filter on it? I've taken the water from inside the external filter and dumped it into my tank, usually near or into the filter, and that's helped enormously.
I am sure some of the other forum members will have some ideas for you, but I would think your main concern, in order to keep your puffer alive and well, would be to get that tank cycled. :wink:
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
xxjtvxx
Puffer Fry

Post by xxjtvxx »

Everything I have was previously used except for the substrate, and some of the decorations. I didn't know the stress-zyme wouldn't work i read online some people used it to cycle and the directions said it could be used. The tank was run for a long time before i got it then in ran it for about 3 weeks. I don't take anything as being hollered at , I am new getting into this hobby and i need to learn for others experiences and not make the same mistakes others have made. Thank you for help and concern, pufferpuggirl
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

Welcome. Yea definitely build that biofilter before adding marine salt.

It wouldnt hurt to post your Water Parameters in the beginning of your post so we have an Idea of where the tank cycle stands. Hope all is well. GSP are great I have 2 in SW
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"