Amazon/ South American Puffers

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
bpurplenic
Puffer Fry
Location (country): North england

Amazon/ South American Puffers

Post by bpurplenic »

Hi, I'm new to keeping Puffers, love my 4 Amazons (Goofy, Bumblebee, Alan & Scare-dy Boo) they have settled in well but still glass surfing, but understand from reading other posts this can be normal for a while. But biggy for me, is getting their food right. The shop only fed them blood worms, so they are fussy as, taken nearly 2 weeks to convince them snails are a good food choice (had to trim their teeth within 1st week of getting them as they were so long :o) also seen a post about rapashy mixed with oyster shell, which they nibble at but not mad about yet but I use this to add a little garlic to help with their digestion and parasites. But wanting to know what else is good to feed them and best place to get hold of it in the UK. Was going to get freeze dried krill but been adviced can damage their jaws. Just want the best for them to ensure they're grow strong and healthy. And any other tips/ advice will be gratefully appreciated. :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Amazon/ South American Puffers

Post by Pufferpunk »

I like FD plankton. Also, crack open the shell of a mussel, oyster, or clam & let them scrape their teeth on the shell to get at the meat.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bpurplenic
Puffer Fry
Location (country): North england

Re: Amazon/ South American Puffers

Post by bpurplenic »

Thank you Pufferpunk, will go to the fish counter and see what I can get hold of.