Hi there! T. abei and pea puff keeper here

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Pufferella
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Hi there! T. abei and pea puff keeper here

Post by Pufferella »

Hey everyone! Joined the forum hoping to learn more about breeding puffers. My current tanks:

65 gallon tetraodon abei tank. Pretty positive I have a male. His name is Jack and he is living in a heavily planted community tank with tetras, danios, and algae eaters. Had him for a year now and he is every bit of 5 inches long. I love this puffer species so much I would really like to attempt breeding it, but they appear to be so rare I cant find another. The only reason I even found him was because he was shipped to my LFS by mistake. Jack gets moody every once in a while and clears the sand by blowing it out of the nesting area he selected. He is trying to attract a girl so badly. Anyone have abei's for sale, and willing to ship, please let me know.

I also have a pea puffer colony, 1 male named Hank and 6 females. I plan on attempting to breed them in the next month as the puffers in this colony are 2-2.5 years old. I have seen quite a bit of breeding behavior but their current tank is also a community tank and any eggs would likely be eaten. This is more or less a project on how to raise the fry. Considering it practice for the day when/if I get my hands on more abei's.

In addition to my puffers I also have a 50 gallon hillstream, several 10 gallon shrimp/plant grow out tanks, and a 20 gallon marbled crayfish breeder tank plus growout bins full of baby crays and snails to feed the puffers.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hi there! T. abei and pea puff keeper here

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
It\s AMAZING that you found one! I have been looking forever. Ordered one from an online site with a pic of "exactly" the fish I was supposed to get & they sent me a turgidus, which I already have.

Do you have Java moss in the DP tank? they seem to like to lay their eggs in that.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pufferella
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Pufferella »

The tank Im setting up for breeding has java moss over a submerged breeder box. Hoping to see the eggs at the bottom so i can atleast confirm breeding/hatching.

I have been searching for another abei for a year. And i mean actively trying to order from my surrounding fish stores and searching online. Not a thing. Amazing considering they allegedly have a stable population in the wild and are no where near endangered. This fish has so much personality and intelligence I was teaching him shape recognition with a child's matching game. Havent worked eith him on it since upgrading his tank from a 20 gallon to a 65 though. His behavior has completely changed. In a positive way. I also cant believe this species is suppose to be a lurker. He is so active. Swimming everywhere. People watching. Begging to be fed. And he is fed daily or he kills a hostage to show me he is the one making the rules lol. Otherwise the community tank set up has been working well.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have read they are much more active than the average "lurker". I should try that game with my fahaka! The biggest issue you're going to have with breeding the DPs are raising the tiny fry. they are smaller than a grain of dust.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"