Petstore friend in VA

A good fish store is hard to find! Know of one? Tell us!
Forum rules
Please remember to include your location or area in your post subject!
fugu99
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Herbie (Figure 8)
Otto (Figure 8) *deceased
Henry the Figure Eighth (Figure 8)
Other: Luna (Panda Platy)
Io (Panda Platy)
Ganymede (Panda Platy)
Ocelot (Albino Pleco)
Aramis (juvenile Red Wag Platy)
Location (country): United States

Petstore friend in VA

Post by fugu99 »

Tony and I frequent our local Petco, its right around the corner. We made friends with the manager of the fish department there, and hes always ready to see us and excited to hear about what trials and tribulations and/or successes we have had with our tanks, what new information we might have found, or what new fish we might have added. We got to tell him about the pufferfish today and he was excited because he had just ordered some Java Fern :) (which we needed anyway). He was happy to supply us with some free snails too from his tanks. Even though he frequently has trouble with the fish he gets in stock, for they often come in sick, he takes good care of them and he has become our fish guru. It seems to me that in that Petco not everyone specializes entirely in fish, everyone has their own department, but even when we come across a problem there are other employees who can add their expertise, so we have gotten to know many of the employees. Many of them own their own tanks, one lady owns saltwater cichlids and another has freshwater, and another employee was knowledgeable about puffers. We also get free water tests whenever we want, and they have a 30 day return policy. I would rate our Petco 5 stars :)
"It is never easy, sweet child, to have a real gift: something else is withheld to compensate."
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Petstore friend in VA

Post by Pufferpunk »

What a pleasant surprise!

SW cichids?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

There are not many of those. SFAIK (so far as know) there is one, maybe, two genera, of the Cichlids which are found on Madagascar and Sri Lanka and they are BW, not marine.

But then, there are also sites which specify that there is no difference in operating a tank for African Rift Lake Cichlids and a SW or marine tank.

It does make you wonder what planet those folks are from. If they operate those two set-ups the same, one or the other tank is very poorly and inefficiently operated.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
fugu99
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Herbie (Figure 8)
Otto (Figure 8) *deceased
Henry the Figure Eighth (Figure 8)
Other: Luna (Panda Platy)
Io (Panda Platy)
Ganymede (Panda Platy)
Ocelot (Albino Pleco)
Aramis (juvenile Red Wag Platy)
Location (country): United States

Post by fugu99 »

The petstore lady with the SW cichlids said they are Oscars, I believe I misheard her and they are actually Brackish water. Oops! Because yeah, there arent any SW cichlids. My mistake!
"It is never easy, sweet child, to have a real gift: something else is withheld to compensate."
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hmmm... Oscars are strictly FW.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Not only that, but they hail from pretty soft acid FW in the Amazon basin. But they are not fussy about pH or water hardness.

They should however never be in BW or SW.
Where's the fish? - Neptune