Updates to the Pufferpedia

Look here for updates, announcements and the forum rules.
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Hilly
Mentor
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK

Updates to the Pufferpedia

Post by Hilly »

The Pufferpedia has been updated with the full current list of freshwater puffers that are now recognised as Monotrete instead of Tetraodon.
Hilly
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Re: Updates to the Pufferpedia

Post by Troender »

When did they change name to Monotrete, and is there some scientific writings on this I can have a look at? I just want to update a Norwegian forum on this :)
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Hilly
Mentor
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK

Post by Hilly »

Corvus listed these 2 references to me in a PM.
Fishes of Laos (2001)
The fishes of Danau Sentarum National Park (2005)
Hilly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thanks!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Copied/pasted from another discussion and PM:

Commonly used Monotretus and Monotreta are wrong spellings. Kottelat explained that Monotrete is a valid genus in:

Kottelat M. 2001. Nomenclatural status of names of tetraodontiform fishes based on Bibron’s unpublished work. Zoosyst 23: 605–618.

Several subsequent (and earlier) studies use this genus for most SE Asian puffers formerly known as the target group as well as the predatory puffers of this area. Some are:

Kottelat, M., 2000 Diagnosis of a new genus and 64 new species of fishes from Laos (Teleostei: Cyprinidae, Balitoridae, Bagridae, Syngnathidae, Chaudhuriidae and Tetraodontidae). J. South Asian Nat. Hist. 5(1):37-82.

This works describes M. turgidus for the first time in puffer history.

Kottelat, M., 2001 Fishes of Laos. WHT Publications Ltd., Colombo 5, Sri Lanka.

This work has:
M. abei
M. baileyi
M. cambodgiensis (M. cambodgiensis is considered the right name now, not barbatus.)
M. cochinchinensis
M. suvattii
M. turgidus

Kottelat, M. and E. Widjanarti, 2005 The fishes of Danau Sentarum National Park and the Kapuas Lakes area, Kalimantan Barat, Indonesia. Raffles Bull. Zool. Supplement (13):139-173.

This works has:

M. palembangensis

leiurus has not "officially" been transferred, but since all other puffers of the target group have been transferred, it is inevitably done as soon as the next scientific book/article with this species is published. You can add it to Monotrete, since it has all the necessary characters.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
PuffTheMagicFishy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: None at the mo.
Location (country): California, USA

Post by PuffTheMagicFishy »

We're lucky to have you around to decipher all this for us, Corvus! :) I get so confused by taxonomic debates. I just went to a seminar the other day on Red Crossbills, and apparently the bird that's listed as a single species is actually 8 different species that look almost exactly the same. I give up! :P
Tanks:
20-gal feeder breeder (platties and snails)
75-gal West African Lungfish + snails

Other pets: Pacific parrotlet, Italian Greyhound, lots of plants
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

Thanks a lot! :D
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

No problem. The work was done by Kottelat, I just happend to read it.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.