dose my gsp have ich or is he sick, please help

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
c.meyer
Puffer Fry

dose my gsp have ich or is he sick, please help

Post by c.meyer »

I have a Green Spotted Puffer and yesterday when I woke up he was at the bottom of the tank and he had little black and gray spots all around his belly. Since then ha really hasn't let the bottom a lot. But he is eating like normal, I change 25% of the water weekly and the temp is at 80 degrees. :(
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Hi. Ich looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt, tiny round white grains of salt. If he has none, he does not have ich. To help determine what is possibly wrong, however, we need more information. Tank size, how long has it been set up, how long have you had him, how was it cycled, tankmates, current water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, SG), when was the last water change, etc.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Phaedrus
Former Staff Member

Post by Phaedrus »

Moved to the hospital forum.
c.meyer
Puffer Fry

Post by c.meyer »

I am not at my house right now to look at his spots but I don't think they look like salt, but I just changed the water a few days ago, I have had him for a month and I cycled the tank with bacteria before he was introduced in to it, um its a 15 gallon tank and he is all by himself in it oh with some living plants.
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Ok, still need to answer all of the other questions about the water parameters as soon as you can. We need precise numbers. What kind of bacteria did you cycle the tank with?
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
c.meyer
Puffer Fry

Post by c.meyer »

I had help from my husband setting up the tank so I will have to talk to him to get the numbers but the bacteria was from a pouch the people at animart gave us, but I forgot to say at first when we set up the tank the pat store we got the puffer from gave us the salt to put in the water, but then talked to a person at animart who told use we were useing the wrong salt and we have just started a couple days ago to switch the salts. We are switching the salt a little at a time utill the water in the take is at the right amount(I mean regestering at the right amount on the salt meter thing, I can't remenber what it is called)
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Hydrometer or refractometers are used to measure the salinity. You most likely have a hydrometer. Hopefully the guy at animart told you that you need marine salt, not aquarium salt. However, the amount of salt you need varies according to their size. Please read the excellent GSP article in our library written by Pufferpunk if you haven't already, it has a ton of information on the proper care of GSPs, including the amount of salinity for each stage of the puffer's life.

The bacteria, if it came in a silver pouch, was most likely Biospira, which is good. Its the only product with the correct live bacteria in it.

Generally speaking, most pet/fish stores don't know much about keeping puffers, or any fish really, so its best to confirm their recommendations here before buying any products or doing anything, as the potential for harm is greater with puffers than with most other types of fish generally available.

But do let us know what the water parameters are as soon as you can. Hopefully you were instructed to get liquid test kits. If not, I highly recommend them. If you don't have anything to test with, take a water sample to the store and they should test it for free, but tell them you need exact numbers, not "fine" or "good."
Tina

c.meyer
Puffer Fry

Post by c.meyer »

thank you so much I am on a buisness trip but will be home tomarrow to check on him and I think I will stop by the book store before I get home, Thank you thank you thank you for being here I will get numbers and keep you poasted.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

There is nothing you'll find in a book (other than The Puffers of Fresh & Brackish Waters, by Dr Klaus Ebert) that you can't find here. Even more so.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
c.meyer
Puffer Fry

Post by c.meyer »

I have been doing water changes every week but he still gets the spots
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

We still can't help you without the answers to the above questions.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"