Puffer has a swollen...cheek? Please help

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Mopar
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 GSPs, Rowdy and Rascal

Post by Mopar »

I went and got the antibiotics today, I'm starting treatment tonight.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

And... what is the SG?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

What antibiotics are you using?
Kelly
Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

The antibiotics i'm using are maracyn and maracyn-2, I've started the 1 hour baths. I don't know what the SG is currently, i don't have the stuff here to test it. I usually take a water sample in to the LFS and have the manager test it for me (he's a very fish-dedicated guy, and he knows a lot about puffers. I hate when i have to ask someone else a question because one time I got some bad info there). It's been fine every time I've taken it in, and i keep it at the same level. But, I haven't been able to take one in lately. I've been out of the house a lot the last couple of days, I guess I should have when i went and got the antibiotics, but I didn't think about it because I was in such a rush.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

How are you able to keep the SG at the same level when doing water changes, if you don't know the SG of the water you are adding? It's time to take a more active role in the care of your pet. You should have your own hydrometer & test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

Because I do the same thing every time I do water changes. And every time I've had it checked afterwards it was the same. And I do have an "active role" with my pet. You have no idea how I am with my fish, you obviously don't know me personally. Just because I can't afford a bunch of fancy equipment for my setup right now doesn't mean I don't care about my fish! I read on here that hydrometers were inaccurate, so I figured I'd save up for better equipment. I knew this was going to happen! If I had one problem and asked about it, I would be picked over just like I see happen on here all the time. All I wanted to do was talk with other people who enjoyed these adorable little creatures and get help if needed, but instead I ended up getting criticized.
I'm really not trying to be offensive or anything, but all I could think was "Someone is going to find something to criticize me about"
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Hydrometers are fine when used properly. The problem is they are much more likely to suffer from user error than refractometers. Refractometers can also be purchased on Ebay for very little money, and test kits aren't expensive at all.

Even if you do the same thing each water change, the results can still vary. Salt absorbs moisture from the air as soon as the package is opened, so 1 cup of salt one week doesn't equal the same 1 cup a couple of weeks later. Its really vital to know exactly what is going on, especially when you are having problems. "Fine" isn't enough information as far as water parameters, we (and you) need to know what the exact numbers are.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

I have test strips btw I forgot to mention that. I know they're not considered accurate but they are cheaper than the 60 dollar kits in my LFS, and they're not bad to use between trips for testing. I don't live more than 5 minutes away from the store. I only take water samples in to test the salt, he tests everything else, but that's the main purpose.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Whenever I make a comment on someone's fishkeeping, it always has to do with the original question asked. I do not run this forum to put folks down & make them feel bad. I never implied you don't care about your fish--it's obvious you love it very much! But not knowing your water parameters, even if your water is tested elsewhere, is not taking an active role in your fish's care, bottom line. When the parameters are off, the fish is stressed, which lowers it's immune system & they get sick. It's all connected.

An entire Master Test Kit will cost you $15.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 2004&Nty=1

Hydrometer, $8.50.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 4952&rel=1
Hydrometers are extremely accurate, once checked against a refractometer. My local public aquarium (John G Shedd, in Chicago) uses them for all their tanks.

Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

Okie dokie, I'll try and scrounge up the money to get that stuff soon. The master test kits at my LFS are really expensive. I'll just buy them online. Anyway, to give an update, this morning he seemed a little more active and the swelling looked like it went down a little bit, but I'm not absolutely sure. I'm feeling a bit better, I was really upset last night. Like I said I wasn't trying to be offensive, i was just upset.
On a lighter note I got a good surprise today! Mr. Puffy will be moving into a 55 gallon tank my mom won off eBay for $152 dollars (bought by her, not me, so all hope of her buying the hydrometer and such for me is lost. I'll have to get some money somewhere), it comes with a lot of stuff including a stand. And any advice on cycling and getting everything ready for his move would be most welcome. Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, I just had am image of someone on the corner with a cup, asking for donations for their puffer!

Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

Ya, I'm not above that! lol I really do care about my puffer and I'd do anything for him. I just have to get the money somewhere, because I am flat out broke. I am excited about my new tank though. I don't get candy anymore for Easter really, so I get a present and the tank was an early Easter present, I think he'll be happy in a big 55 gallon tank just for himself. Here's a pic of the tank and a bunch of goodies that came with it...

http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/v00 ... 02/img.jpg
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Your puffer should have fun swimming thru all those Greek ruins! I'd soak everything in Oxiclean to sterilize.

PuffTheMagicFishy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: None at the mo.
Location (country): California, USA

Post by PuffTheMagicFishy »

Could plain household bleach (NaHClO) work to sterilize too? When left to dry completely in air, the only residue it leaves is table salt (NaCl). It's cheap and easy to find, and can be used for a lot of cleaning jobs. Just make sure you get a generic brand that's just a plain ol' sodium hypochlorite solution, rather than a fancy Clorox type, since the fancier bleaches sometimes contain toxic lye and other additives that are good for clothes but bad for pets. I use plain bleach to sterilize my bird's equipment, since there is no toxic residue after thorough drying.

Mix bleach with water to make the desired strength of solution (I don't know what would be best in this case). Scrub any organic debris off the items to be sterilized and then let the items soak in the solution for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and let dry overnight. Rinse again if any salt crust is visible.

PP or anyone else please let me know if this is a bad suggestion! It should work as far as I know, but I'd like to know if anyone else has heard different. I know bleach in the environment is very bad for fishes, but dry bleach is essentially aquarium salt and shouldn't hurt anyone.

Best of luck with your puffers, Mopar! I hope your little guy starts feeling better soon and that Mr. Puffy enjoys zooming in his new digs!
Tanks:
20-gal feeder breeder (platties and snails)
75-gal West African Lungfish + snails

Other pets: Pacific parrotlet, Italian Greyhound, lots of plants
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

I use bleach to clean everything. After cleaning, I will rinse thoroughly and let air dry for 2- 3 days to be on the safe side.
Kelly