Need help with my fahaka puffer

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
kwiecina
Puffer Fry
Location (country): London

Need help with my fahaka puffer

Post by kwiecina »

Hello everyone I need help about my fahaka puffer. Let's start with the 65 gallons Aquarium. All e.g. water parameters normal like NO3 and No2 the aquarium has been working for 6 years. Weekly water change 20%.Fish fed alternately with masels, clams, squid, prawns, live stock such as earthling fish. The fish is 10cm in size. The problem is that the fish has not been interested in eating for 5 days. Its color changed to dark and it started to breathe hard plus she is not very active.In the aquarium I have two plecko plus 5 barbs fish that look good and are active.the fish was disinfected some 3 weeks ago, levamisole was used for this. After that, the fish was still active and ate.

Thanks for help me.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Need help with my fahaka puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hi, Could you please post EXACT parameters? Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH
The other fish may be stressing him out, when were they added?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
kwiecina
Puffer Fry

Post by kwiecina »

Hi So No3 and No2 is 0 ph is 7.4 I add this fish like 5 months ago. All rest fish look great and healthy. Every time I approached the aquarium, he was already waiting fot the food. Now it is inversely darkened its colors and it lies mainly at the bottom. Sometimes it looks like he is trying to stretch himself and opens his mouth a lot. Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What test kits are you using? Ammonia? With fish in your tank for 5 months, you should be showing nitrate.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

kwiecina
Puffer Fry

Post by kwiecina »

I use api test kit 5 in 1 ammonia normally, fhakaka I keep around 5 months. Is very strange becouse one day was normal next day when I come to feed him, he was look completely different like usually.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ammonia 0?
When did you add the other fish, especially the barbs?

kwiecina
Puffer Fry

Post by kwiecina »

Yes ammonia is 0. Barbs I add arou d 1 months ago. I keep them for 2 weeks in another tank for quarantine before add to my main tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Do you have elsewhere to put the other fish just to see if it's them?

kwiecina
Puffer Fry

Post by kwiecina »

Got one small tank bad for me look like is something else. Can be something with food? last time when he was eat my son give to him frozen white bite.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't know what white bite is but these fish are not piscivores. I'm thinking this is some kind of fish meat?

Are you sure you are thoroughly shaking your nitrate test kit as per the instructions? I still say you should be showing nitrate. Please test again for all parameters.

A lot of bullying by barbs are done in the evening when the fish is resting.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »