Does my Spotted Congo Puffer have fungus?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
JM1989
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Sates

Does my Spotted Congo Puffer have fungus?

Post by JM1989 »

Hello Group,

Yesterday I noticed a grayish white spot on my GSP, on its right side by the tail. Can someone tell what it is ? Is it Ich or some sort of fungus? I did a 30% water change yesterday but I could use some suggestions on how to threat him. Can anyone help?

Here are some specifications on my tank:
50 Gallon
80 degrees
PH 7.5
KH 40
GH 180
NO2 .5
NO3 0-20
50% RO water
All other fish healthy
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Does my Spotted Congo Puffer have fungus?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ammonia? What test kits are you using? Liquid tests are the only accurate ones.
Need a pic to see the spot. You have to upload it to a photo-sharing site & link it here.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
JM1989
Puffer Fry

Post by JM1989 »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVqkTloLkbC ... yYKD8APc0/
Here is a link please let me know if it doesn't work.
I just did a test with the Freshwater Master Kit by API. It's a liquid test.
Ammonia Bottle result was a greenish color in-between 1.0ppm-2.0ppm.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nope, says "Private Account".

It seems your tank isn't cycled at all. How EXACTLY did you cycle it?

Do a 90% water change, stir the substrate to remove any uneaten food & add Tetra Safestart to the filter.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

JM1989
Puffer Fry

Post by JM1989 »

Okay just changed the setting to public try again.

I had it going with Congo Tetra for about a month before I got the puffer. I noticed the filter was running on low and once the puffer arrived it began producing a lot of waste.

I did a water change, cranked up the filter, put air stones, and got some beneficial Bactria. I will keep adding the Bactria for the next 7 days.

Then if the puffer’s spot doesn’t go away I will have to threat it. Maybe with Melafix?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

How often are you cleaning the filter/substrate?
If you used the Congo tetras to cycle the tank & do not remove them, then you have only enough bacteria to support the tetras. Adding more fish will need more bacteria to support them.
What bacteria are you adding (product)?
Melafix wouldn't hurt.

JM1989
Puffer Fry

Post by JM1989 »

I guess not enough, every 3 weeks or so.
I am using Stability by Seachem.
Where you able to view the picture?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I was but it wasn't easy to tell, really. Doesn't look severe. I'm more concerned about your parameters. What's your water change schedule?

JM1989
Puffer Fry

Post by JM1989 »

Every 3 weeks or so along with the vacuum of substrate. I think this was a result of the filter being on low.
How long do you think it will take for the water to go back to normal? I will keep using the bacteria. How many more times do you recommend a water change ? (Aside from the regular)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

50% WC, 2x/day, until your ammonia/nitrite remains at 0. Use Prime to dechlor. Any other fish in there?
?