White worms on dragon puffer gills. Help!!!

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Mal009
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

White worms on dragon puffer gills. Help!!!

Post by Mal009 »

My dragon puffer has some white worms on his gills. He is acting normal but they’ve just popped up today. Can anyone tell me what they are and how to treat them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: White worms on dragon puffer gills. Help!!!

Post by Pufferpunk »

Add Prazipro to the water as per the directions.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
MissRubyPuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): NY, USA

Post by MissRubyPuff »

I need help with this as well!

I first got Ruby the dragon puffer in March of this year. I have been trying to determine how to help her with these white worms that have been on her since I got her. I have done extensive research thinking they were anchor worms, but they lack the forked tail. I just finished a 3rd dosing of PraziPro with 80% water changes in between. The worms are still there. Can anyone help identify and assist with a course of treatment.

She is incredibly healthy and eats well aside from these blasted worms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It may take different chemicals to irradicate different worms. Try levamisole.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

MissRubyPuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): NY, USA

Post by MissRubyPuff »

Pufferpunk wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:34 am It may take different chemicals to irradicate different worms. Try levamisole.
Thank you so much!! I will definitely try this next!! :D
amovs3s
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by amovs3s »

Did you find out what those worms were? My dragon puffer also had them when I first got him. Shortly after noticing it, i too treated the tank with varying medicines with no luck of removing them without physical intervention. I eventually used tweezers to pull the 2 that were visible to me. For at least a year now he's been totally free of these worms, but just today i noticed another one, a single tiny one starting to show again. Still wondering what these worms are, if they are actually an external parasite of some kind or just loose skin? How did you end up treating your puffer, and did you get rid of it completely?
Last edited by amovs3s on Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What meds have you used & for how long?

amovs3s
Puffer Fry

Post by amovs3s »

I have treated the tank with Para Cleanse, Expel P, Ich X, PraziPro, ParaGuard, and Maracyn. This is over time at different occasions, however 2 weeks ago today I started dosing with PraziPro again, I am up to 3 doses now with no actual improvement. The puffer is lively, energetic, on the prowl trying to hunt other fish, as well as ferociously eating night crawlers. Just worried about what these worms actually are, because I also tried doing research and still am since the day I got him without a definite answer. I am unsure if they even spread.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Gill flukes?

amovs3s
Puffer Fry

Post by amovs3s »

I thought that too at first, but how could the flukes survive through all those meds. Then i started to lean towards some kind of external parasites, but they look nothing like anchor worms. When you tweeze them off they are attatch on there pretty deep, and from what i could see it was some kind of worm because it looked like it had a head once i got it out.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Can you get a good pic of the worms?
https://fisharticle.com/anchor-worms-in-fish/

amovs3s
Puffer Fry

Post by amovs3s »

I haven't yet gone full in with removing this new tiny one appearing on my lil dragon puffer called Drogon. I wish i took pictures and documented the last procedure. Once I decide to remove the current one I definitely will post it. He's just so lively i don't wanna mess up his attitude, getting all timid and not eating.