Amazon Puffer with large white spot on head

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Pennellapuffer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Amazon Puffer with large white spot on head

Post by Pennellapuffer »

Recently, I've become aware that my fish care and practices in general with fish care need to change. I'd just like to say that to start, because I'm aware both my tanks have become overpopulated and that I need to change my water changing schedule from monthly and bi-weekly to weekly most likely. I guess I'm just saying both those things to start with because I'm a little ashamed of how things have gotten.

I have two SAP's (South American Puffers) living in a 28 gallon community tank. About three days ago, I finally gave them their teeth clipping I had been putting off. I used MS222. It's alwats a very stressful process, but they lost consciousness (about 30 seconds) and came back to full consciousness (a few minutes) around the right times. The only difference from usual was that because I let their teeth get longer than usual, it was more difficult to clip them and I accidentally cut a bit on the tissue around the teeth/lips.

A day later, and one of the puffers has a large white area on one side of his face where his coloring has almost paled. The surface of the skin looks the same, but the edges of the white area have a cracked appearance/pattern, although the skin itself is completely smooth. To be honest, I've seen this in both puffers in the past, but not as extreme. I can't find anything online about other SAP's having this paling cracking effect on their skin though. It is the coloring only and not the texture of the skin which appears to have changed. Since seeing this large white spot (warde than anything they've had in the past, I've been doing several large water changes in the past few days and trying to gravel vacuum more thoroughly.

1. Water parameters were last measured a few days ago before a 25% and a %50 water change.
Ammonia: less than 0.25 (hard to tell), Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 40 PH: 8.3 (same as usual)

2. Tank size: 28 gallons. Tank inhabitants: 2 SAP's, 1 balloon Molly, 15 neon tetras, 3 juvenile guppies, two medium bristlenose plecos, and 1
rainbow fish (moved into other tank today)

3. Feeding: two pinches of tropical bug bites for the smaller fish daily, a small pinch of Betta bites for larger fish and puffers daily (can find brand later if needed), an algae wafer or two daily for plecos (other fish munch on them sometimes too), and other miscellaneous foods here and there. Thawed out frozen food (variety pack) about once a week. Water change schedule: Usually between once a month and once every two weeks, averaging once every three weeks, 25%. Products: Only prime conditioner until today, I decided to use some all in one plant fertilizer from aquarium coop as well.

4. Changes in past week: I clipped the puffers teeth. Before that, a few weeks ago, their lights were destroyed and they were without lighting for about a week, so I had a lot of plants dying back and more plant matter.

5. The tank has been established about 2 years. The balloon Molly and rainbow fish and guppies were added about 6 months ago, the rest of the fish have been in the tank for atleast a year. When I first set up the tank, I let it sit for atleast a month without fish and tried to get the cycle going, it is for sure going now. Also, for filtering, I just have two medium sponge filters now, as I find sponge filters much easier to maintain.

I understand I may have been doing quite a few things wrong for a while, and I really want to remedy these things. Does anyone know what this white skin discoloration may be or have any experience with it themselves? I really want my little guy to be okay. Thank you in advance!! :)

Also, how to attach photos? I have some pictures of my puffers that may help.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Amazon Puffer with large white spot on head

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hi, Without a pic, it would be very difficult to guess. You have to upload to a photo-sharing site & link here.

I am going to scold you about your fishkeeping practices. 50% WEEKLY water changes are the best way to keep your fish healthy & happy. Between your being remiss of this, overstocked & plant material dying off, it is bumping up your nitrate which should always be kept <20. I also wonder why your pH is so high? What is it out of your tap?

I'm surprised with the pelleted foods you offer, that their teeth have overgrown.

Excellent SAP article:
https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldw ... susasellus
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pennellapuffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Pennellapuffer »

Thank you for your advice and help Pufferpunk, I really appreciate it. I've been doing several 50% and 25% (roughly) water changes over the last few days and the white spot is getting smaller and all the cracks have dissapeared from the edges. I looked at the article you suggested and I think I will try to make some changes based off of that as well. For the moment, frequent water changes, rearranging some of the decor towards the back, and lowering the stocking are what I'm working on. I have some pictures I can attach now. You can see the white spot is getting smaller in some of them. I also bought a 5gallon jug of RO water this week which I've been slowly mixing in with my tap water for water changes. That has helped to lower the PH from 8.25 ish to 8.0. I spread the RO water adding out in adding it so hopefully the change is not too sudden. I'm also going to research what I can use to supplement the RO water but for now am using a regular dosage of aquarium coops all purpose fertilizer to hopefully help a bit. I read my tap water for pH and it is 7.4... I can't believe it. I have that eco round ball substrate and a few larger rocks that I boiled before adding but that was about two years ago. Is it possible rocks can affect pH so much even after a long time? Otherwise, there are some small snail shells in there as well.

https://ibb.co/rw633bR
https://ibb.co/5h4rh92
https://ibb.co/y67j6BY
https://ibb.co/tznbCZJ
https://ibb.co/GWTrzH3
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What a cutie! Do you think he possibly got stuck behind the heater and got burned?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pennellapuffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Pennellapuffer »

Thanks :) He is a cutie. That’s a possibility, I didn’t think of that actually.. I’ll keep it up with water changes though and keep you updated on his healing.
Pennellapuffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Pennellapuffer »

Here is how he is looking now and also how the tank looks. I put in some taller fake plants in the back to help all the fish feel more at ease and already I think they seem more relaxed.

https://ibb.co/GRPr6tk
https://ibb.co/f9Ck0kh
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Are you thoroughly stirring all that substrate before your weekly water changes?