Figure 8 puffer lethargic and little to no appetite.

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Michaelm7
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Figure 8 puffer lethargic and little to no appetite.

Post by Michaelm7 »

Ammonia and Nitrate 0 PH about 7.0
Salinity 1.007
The tank has been set up for about 2 years.
There are no live plants, all fake... have tried several different live species that supposedly highly resistant to salt, but to no avail... gave up on that a year and a half ago lol.
There is a figure 8 puffer that has been in there for a while and I added a brackish water eel to the tank about 8 months ago, unsure the exact species, the pet store had it labeled as marble eel, however nothing that i have ever looked up looks like this eel... so like I said unsure of actual species.
It is a 20g tank
The puffer is about 2 inches long and has been in the tank about a year and 6 months or so.
He has been feed jumbo krill for as long as I have had him as well as an occasional bloodworm or 2 here and there and sometimes snails.
A little over a year ago (maybe 2 or 3 months after I got him) the puffer developed a very bad external infection that took over a month to get rid of. He healed, but some scaring on his body still remains to this day. After he recovered, he was never 100% himself again as far as his personality. He remained highly timid for a few months before regaining most of his socialness and getting to the point where he could be hand fed again if you wanted to.

About a month ago he started getting real shy and his appetite lessened quite a bit.
Now, as of about a week ago he has taken to sitting at the bottom right corner of the tank almost laying on the sand.
I try to get food to sink down there for him to eat but he doesn't really mess with it much he did eat a bloodworm last night though.
His beak seems fine as far as size for him to be able to open and close his mouth.
I do however see what looks like a bulge around the top left side of his body about halfway between the tail and his fin that reminds me a bit of a tumor.

Are there any recommendations of what I can do? Could he truly have a tumor?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Figure 8 puffer lethargic and little to no appetite.

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome!
NO nitrate? Or si that nitrite?
pH should be around 8. What substrate are you using?
SG is best kept at 1.003-5.

A diet of krill isn't good at all. It's high in thiaminase & can cause lockjaw in puffers. They need a varied diet. library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/

Yes, fish do get tumors. Can you post a pic?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Michaelm7
Puffer Fry

Post by Michaelm7 »

I coaxed it into 1 of those little isolation boxes you can use to move fish between tanks and treat and such to try to get the best angle of picture to show bulge I am meaning. Hopefully you can still see pretty well with all the cropping I had to do to make it fit the 256 kb requirement.
You will definitely be able to see the scaring on it's skin... the white patches. Has been like that ever since that horrible infection it got that I had mentioned.

I apologize, yes I had meant Nitrites
I will work on lowering salinity a tad and upping PH a tad, I had been going by what I had read about them online when googling.
And I will look at getting some different foods now, on that I was going by what the pet store said was good.

On substrate, it might sound strange but I am using pool sand. Have it in 4 other tanks. It is more coarse so if it is messed with, it doesn't get kicked up and go into the filter since it doesn't mix with the water. An older guy that I got 1 of my tanks from swears by it. He builds and repairs tanks and has a good 20 or so that he himself has fish in. Told me he just goes to a local pool store and asks them for any 50lb bags they have that have holes and pays $5 for them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Aragonite sand is recommended for substrate, as it buffers the water around a steady level of 8.
Try adding Melafix to help with healing/scarring.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Michaelm7
Puffer Fry

Post by Michaelm7 »

What about that bulge on it's side that seems to be growing?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm not really sure but that's a GSP, not an F8. The bulge never goes down?

Michaelm7
Puffer Fry

Post by Michaelm7 »

Yes, the bulge stays.
Also it looks like it hinders tail movement.
For instance, when swimming the tail doesn't really bend that direction much aside from the very end.
It is more like the tail right, straight, right, straight. and in resting position it is slightly bent to the right.

It really reminds me of the tumor that my little brother's cat has had for... several months now. It is hard to believe that she is still going as well as she is... it is more than twice the size of her head now. But she still walks and eats. Though she has to have special pills to keep food down.
And I of course meant cat (feline) not cat as in catfish.
Last edited by Michaelm7 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What did the vet say about the kitty's tumor? Non-operable? Might be the same thing with your puffer.

Michaelm7
Puffer Fry

Post by Michaelm7 »

They said there was nothing that they could do.
Said to try to keep her comfortable and prescribed this medicine to help her keep food down.
They gave her a few weeks to live, yet she has been going still for about 4 months.
She keeps fighting, she wants to live.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

:pout: