3 White Spots, but they dont look like ick ?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Nickdavey126
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

3 White Spots, but they dont look like ick ?

Post by Nickdavey126 »

Questions:
1: water parameters
Ph:8.3
Salinity: 1.021
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates: 0 for all
2: 50gallon (I understand this is a bit small for a Porcupine Fish, but they’re only about 4inches so I thought it would be fine for a start) Inhabitants: Porcupine Fish, 3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
3: Food: Octopus, Squid, Snails, Clams
Salt/water and Waterchanges: Instant Ocean for full water changes, “Real Pacific Ocean water” by Imagintarium for partial water changes which occur every week (Saturdays)
4: I shifted the rocks around a bit, but not much.
5:The aquarium has been running for a total of 5 months with a fish living in there for about 2 months and a half. The aquarium was also started with media from a previous tank along with live rock.
*If I missed anything or have any advice to help improve my care please let me know!*

Hi ! I recently noticed on my Porcupine Fish some random white spots on the dorsal fin and on one pectoral. I’m not exactly sure how long they had been there, I tried looking through some photos from a few months prior but couldn’t find any that would show these spots properly if they were there. I’m not sure what they are but they don’t look like ick to me unless I’m mistaken, white spots created by ick give the fish a “salted” look all over their body , while there are no other spots on the fishes body besides the fins. I’ll attach some photos I have recently taken. They look somewhat different at different angles so I made sure to attach two photos showcasing this (If you would like better photos please let me know !) . Could these just be slightly more pigmented areas along the rays of the fins ? Could it be bacterial or Fungal ? Could they be cysts ? I will also like to note the fish is super active as always and is eating like a hog , I also recently started to dose the fishes food with Vitachem, are there any known affects similar to this due to the supplement ? Any and all advice will be appreciated, thank you so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: 3 White Spots, but they dont look like ick ?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hi, I do see these occasionally on my fish's fins. too. They seem to just go away on their own. Are they getting larger?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Nickdavey126
Puffer Fry

Post by Nickdavey126 »

Pufferpunk wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:38 am Hi, I do see these occasionally on my fish's fins. too. They seem to just go away on their own. Are they getting larger?
Thank you for the reply ! I checked again today and they seem to still be the same , I will definitely monitor them. When feeding the fish squid this morning it ate normally and the overall behavior of the fish is quite normal I would say. Could these possibly be calcium deposits built up on the rays of the fins ? I believe I read about something along these lines and that a water change could possibly help with them. I would also like to ask , is it possible to “over do it” with the Vitachem ? I usually like to add it to atleast a few of the morsels while feeding ( especially with shrimp since crustaceans tend to have Thiminase which can take away from B vitamin absorption) but is it possible to use it to often ? Once again thank you for the reply ! I will update about the spots if anything dramatic happens.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I add VitaChem to everything I defrost.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Nickdavey126
Puffer Fry

Post by Nickdavey126 »

Pufferpunk wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:17 pm I add VitaChem to everything I defrost.
Ok cool, I will continue using the vitachem regularly. Once again I appreciate the response, I will follow up on the spots as needed.
Nickdavey126
Puffer Fry

Post by Nickdavey126 »

A little update: As I have continued to watch my fish it appears there have been more blotches popping up on the fins. The initial ones I reported about are seemingly “faded”. They are all different sizes for the most part and I’m not for sure if it is ick but I have seen a few white spots on the fish’s skin (these white spots typically disappear after a day , and there hasn’t been a time where the fish was fully “salted” in spots, I understand they could have been particles in the aquarium attached to the slime coat). I recently setup a 10 gallon treatment tank for the 3.2 inch fish and plan on doing a hyposalinity treatment. I have been running the aquarium for about 3.5 days hoping to have a little bit of a cycle going but who knows, it honestly may not matter too much if there is a cycle considering I will have to be doing water changes to adjust the salinity accordingly. Please correct me if I’m wrong but am I supposed to do a water change with adjusted salinity every 48 hours until I reach a SG of about 1.009 ? I Plan to start treatment tomorrow unless you have other recommendations. Once again thank you for the help , if anyone has any ideas of what this may be please feel free to plaid some input.
Nickdavey126
Puffer Fry

Post by Nickdavey126 »

Nickdavey126 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:31 pm A little update: As I have continued to watch my fish it appears there have been more blotches popping up on the fins. The initial ones I reported about are seemingly “faded”. They are all different sizes for the most part and I’m not for sure if it is ick but I have seen a few white spots on the fish’s skin (these white spots typically disappear after a day , and there hasn’t been a time where the fish was fully “salted” in spots, I understand they could have been particles in the aquarium attached to the slime coat). I recently setup a 10 gallon treatment tank for the 3.2 inch fish and plan on doing a hyposalinity treatment. I have been running the aquarium for about 3.5 days hoping to have a little bit of a cycle going but who knows, it honestly may not matter too much if there is a cycle considering I will have to be doing water changes to adjust the salinity accordingly. Please correct me if I’m wrong but am I supposed to do a water change with adjusted salinity every 48 hours until I reach a SG of about 1.009 ? I Plan to start treatment tomorrow unless you have other recommendations. Once again thank you for the help , if anyone has any ideas of what this may be please feel free to plaid some input.
I will also like to add the fish is still acting and eating normally. I’m have continued to add vita chem to every meal hoping it would maybe help boost the fish’s immune system.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »