Healthy figure 8, but scratching and itchy.

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
chris95
Puffer Fry
Location (country): NewZealand

Healthy figure 8, but scratching and itchy.

Post by chris95 »

hello, I am currently keeping 2 figure 8 puffers, their colour look amazing and eats like a cow, except one issue they have. they sometimes scratch against my plants and driftwoods.

They would always come up to me whenever i get home, begging for food, swim around the tank good, I have a 50 gallon brackish tank, Salinity of 1.008, and when I last checked my water, the PH was 7, and ammonia almost near 0. not sure about nitrite as I haven/t really checked yet, but I cycled the tank for about 5 weeks before adding them.

I am pretty sure it is not ich which causes them to scratch over things, since I've kept them in a cupramine QT tank for 2weeks when I got them from lfs, and showing no white spots at all, their skin looks great. I heard pufferfish's skin can be very sensitive since they don't really have scales, and one of my friends said his puffer (f8) sometimes would scratch too, so i thought fish could scratch sometimes just like any other animals, dogs and cats, but sometimes it just gets on my nerve when i see them scratching. So i put one of them in another QT tank yesterday morning with a bit of Formalin cuz Formalin is exceptional on parasites, the puffer is still showing the same issue, or I'm not too sure it'll get better over the next few days, I'm just wondering anyone would have the same issue like me or had in the past with figure 8 puffers,,, :roll:

Thank you!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Healthy figure 8, but scratching and itchy.

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome!
I would forgo any meds at this point. It could be that the cupramine harmed their skin. Try adding Melafix to their tank. How EXACTLY did you cycle this tank? You should NEVER be showing ammonia. you need to know nitrite & nitrate.

SG of 1.003-5 is best.
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
chris95
Puffer Fry

Post by chris95 »

Hi, and thank you pufferpunk, I took both of my figure 8 puffers to the lfs and there is some kind of fish vet there, asked him and he diagnosed that there is a high chance of them having internal parasites, so i got praziquantel tablets today, and start treating them.
about cycling the tank, I added seachem prime, pristine in the tank first of all, and then put some fish food in there, and then let it cycle for 5weeks.
I heard somewhere around 1.008 is the best, but is it really the best at 1.005? then I'll have to adjust it.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, a fish vet working at a LFS? Probably just self-proclaimed "expert". Fish do not "flash" from IPs. In addition, freshwater fish do not drink water, so adding an anti-parasite drug will not help with IPs at all. If anything, it may help ICH which can have the symptom of flashing but I prefer Ich-X for that. Did you get an API test kit while you were there?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

chris95
Puffer Fry

Post by chris95 »

Hey there, thank you so much for the advises. This morning I went to the lfs again, cuz your right lol. There's no proof that the vet there has a degree or something in fish but yeah maybe hes a senior fish keeper in the store and I figured out that the staffs just call him 'vet' since he's the most experienced on there. lol
I grabbed the Melafix, and API Nitrate test kit and Nitrite test kit as you've instructed, now i know that Nitrite shows bright yellow which is 0ppm and Nitrite shows bright skyblue which is 0ppm too. tested the PH and ammonia again this morning too, Ammonia is 0 and PH is 7. i dosed the Melafix just now before writing here so it should start working soon, I am not using the praziquantel as yet, since I would like to see how fishes do with it first. thanks again for your advice although it costed me quite bit of $$$ but nothing is important than the lil boys i have at the moment. I'll keep you updated how they do, are there any more tips how you would do at this stage or something? this morning when I was testing the water, i saw them flicking against my driftwood, (before melafix dose) but I'll have to see how the boys do now. thank you
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Your nitrate is testing 0?

chris95
Puffer Fry

Post by chris95 »

Yep that’s what it showed on the colour card, correct me if i’m wrong
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

A healthy cycled tank should be showing some nitrate. Are you sure you shook the tubes exactly as the directions say to?