GSP Continuous Dark Belly but normal Behaviour

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
KyleCarbert
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

GSP Continuous Dark Belly but normal Behaviour

Post by KyleCarbert »

Hello everyone,

First time posting here, however, been in the hobby for a while now. I currently have two juvenile GSP's in a 40-gallon tank water permitters as follows:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Salinity: 1.023 Marine Salt (I know this is not the norm to bring them to full salinity this young, however, I did it over the period of about 3 months and the healthy bright white GSP seems to be thriving in the full salt)

Tank contents:
2 Green Spotted Puffers
Plenty of Rock and Silk Plants
One small mushroom frag (Took from other tank to see if they would bother it, the GSP's have not touched it)

Feeding schedule:
- Byrne Shrimp (Loaded Gut) and mysis shrimp mixture
- Once a week a clam on a half shell taken out when bellies are full

Water Changes:
10% once per week

Aquarium Age: 4 Months (First cycled using mollies, took them out and put them in my other tank when cycle finished

Medication strategy:
-Dosed two rounds of prazi pro with no success
-Currently attempting metroplex, focus, and garlic mixture however they aren't too interested in eating it
-Now I am running carbon to catch any extra metroplex

The Problem: I first purchased the 2 GSP's from a local fish store, I had been keeping an eye on the stock for a while and finally picked out two with plump white bellies who seemed to be the most active.

Upon arriving home and getting them set up in their new tank, I realized that one of the GSP's (Izzy) had darkened significantly. Ever since that, Izzy's colour has not returned to normal, and her stomach often shows signs of sinking in or emptying a lot faster than the other healthy GSP. This lead to me to IP diagnosis. However, I must say that I have NOT seen any signs of white poop.

Both GSP's are eating like piggies and are active swimming around, if it weren't for the dark colour I would assume Izzy is a healthy fish.

I can assume my issue isn't water quality as my second GSP is thriving, and the colour is bright throughout. I MUST also add that I have NOT seen any aggression between the two puffers.

I Have attached a link to my google drive folder where there is a picture of some odd black dots with large circles around them (Almost like a dartboard. There's also a video in the folder showing them eating the clam on a half shell (you can see the contrast in colour between the two)

PS: I don't know if this matters but Izzys colour often improves slightly after eating a big meal

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions on what to do next, and I really want to see this little one feeling better :( !

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The picture I tried to upload was too large
Google Drive Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP Continuous Dark Belly but normal Behaviour

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Have you treated the food with the meds? Internal parasites MUST be treated internally. But if your puffer is swimming/eating normally, the dark coloration may just show a moody fish.
library/hospital/internal-parasites-pre ... treatment/

You also need to vary the diet more: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"