GSP Tiny White Spots? Ick?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
gerstetm
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

GSP Tiny White Spots? Ick?

Post by gerstetm »

Hello! I recently got my new GSP from my local pet store, and upon arriving home and doing a more thorough check, I saw some tiny white specks. I initially was going to return him, but figured he would probably have a better chance with me, rather than my local chain pet store. I was talking to the guy at the store and he recommended Herbtana. I have heard that this probably isn't the best solution for ick or any other parasites. What are your opinions on this? He is on Day 2 of treatment and the white spots have definitely gotten smaller and are hardly visible. The puffer eats great and has a varied diet of shrimp, snails, bloodworms, and brine shrimp. He is always roaming around and going to the bathroom fine. My water levels are all where they are supposed to be. It was in freshwater and I drip acclimated it over a couple hours to my brackish water. Will this kill freshwater ick? I also raised the temp to my tank to about 82/83 degrees. What are your thoughts on this? Is it ick, an internal parasite, or maybe just his color? His stomach is white and has no other colors to indicate that it is sick. I'm am not as worried since it is eating so well, and doesn't look unhealty at all besides the itty bitty white spots.

Thanks in advanced!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP Tiny White Spots? Ick?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I never heard of that product but be careful because puffers are extremely sensitive to ich medications. What's in it? I always find it best to treat with heat and salt, especially since they like salty water anyway. Are you sure it ich? It's possible you're seeing their tiny white spines.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
gerstetm
Puffer Fry

Post by gerstetm »

Herbtana is an all herbal medication. I also read on other forums that it is safe for puffers, as it does not include any harmful herbals or chemicals. The heat and salt method is how I am currently treating him on top of the herban. This morning I did wake up with him having a white string coming from him. Does that mean that the food isn't digesting? Is that dead parasites?
gerstetm
Puffer Fry

Post by gerstetm »

Another thing I did notice today that the puffer did not eat. He is pretty plump from yesterday's feeding, so could it just be that he is full? I do think it has some intestinal parasites, so I have to figure out what to do about that.
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Three Amazon puffers (Colomesus asellus):
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Is it possible you could post pictures? If it’s internal parasites, he will start to become thinner. Pay attention to his poop. If it is white or clear, that’s a good sign of IPs.
Multiple treatments work, one for ich being the salt method, and for IPs being either certain medications or garlic juice (though you should be careful with that. I once polluted my DP tank with too much garlic juice).
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I once polluted my DP tank with too much garlic juice
You never treat the tank for IPs, only their food.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

I tried to soak it in the bloodworms, which then spread into the tank water because I used too much.
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”
gerstetm
Puffer Fry

Post by gerstetm »

Yes I will post pictures in a few. I ended up buying General Cure. I put the recommended amount in the tank, and then put some in his food. As that is what my LFS directed too. So far my Puffer has had great progress. He began eating again... a lot. No stringy white poo.
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Glad to hear your puffer is doing better!!
gerstetm
Puffer Fry

Post by gerstetm »

A little update. The past two days he has not been eating, and his colors are darker than normal. His belly is not completely dark if that means anything. He also seems to always be hiding, or laying down in the aragonite. I have treated him with General Cure. Any ideas why this is happening? I check my water perimeters and they are perfect. Im upset. :/
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What SG?

gerstetm
Puffer Fry

Post by gerstetm »

gerstetm
Puffer Fry

Post by gerstetm »

More bad news. Last night he was sleeping next to the filter I assume, and he got sucked into the little filter intake. Not sure how as this hasn’t happened before. Lights are off to be less stressful and I have it to where he can’t get sucked into it again. He obviously can’t swim really much. Hoping he can recover. I’m so upset :(
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Oh gosh... Is there a strainer covering the intake?

gerstetm
Puffer Fry

Post by gerstetm »

Yes there was and obviously still is. I guess it was still too powerful. He can’t get near the filter as of right now. I haven’t been home yet and worried I might come home to something unfortunate. :(