Ich in new figure 8 puffers...

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
ashar1701
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Ich in new figure 8 puffers...

Post by ashar1701 »

Hello I got two figure 8 puffers for my 55 gallon brackish water tank (currently sg is reading 1.009) they were in freshwater before I got them and somehow I didn't see the few tiny salt like specs on them maybe 5 or 6 per fish, used the drip method to acclimate them to the salinity in the tank and they went in, I know I screwed up not quarantining them. the tank residents currently include 2 guppies and some fry they had, and two mollys. I've never had ich in brackish fish yet so I'm not sure where to start, I'm hoping the raise in salinity and temperature will cure this but I need some advise as I want to eventually move my small mud morays in the tank as well and they cannot tolerate copper.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Ich in new figure 8 puffers...

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Are you absolutely sure it's ich & not their tiny white spines?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
ashar1701
Puffer Fry

Post by ashar1701 »

hi and thank you for the reply, I tried to get a picture but it they didn't come out good enough to post, I think its ich just because they look like little specs of salt, I'm not sure how to tell the difference yet since I've had them for so short a time (and they're delightful btw).
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yeah, unfortunately, so do their spines. I'd be surprised at SG if it was ich. Are there any spots on their fins?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

ashar1701
Puffer Fry

Post by ashar1701 »

well after I got home from work yesterday most of the little spots have fallen off, the little guys came from freshwater so I really hope that the life cycle of the ich is stopped due to the salinity before they can reproduce and infect everything in the tank. From the research I've done if it is for sure ich the freshwater species of it won't live in the mid level brackish salinity I have, at least I'm really hoping this is a the case.

I've gotten some really great information on this forum and again I thank you guys for taking the time to offer your advise I appreciate it! These are my first puffers and they're so much cooler than I thought they would be!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Glad to hear this! Like I said, I'd be surprised if they had ich at that SG.